On the subject of Tyres

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats been my experience with branded tyres as opposed to remoulds. The difference in ride quality is the best thing. I The pirelli scorpions that I had before are essentially a copy of the old BFG muds, they lasted 51k. The kumhos that I have now are excellent, I prefer a unidirectional tread, especially on the snow.

can't believe you lot think £130 is expensive for a tyre..

if i could get that price for mine I'd be chewing arms off,,,

The difference is your tyres are mainly for vanity :lol:

If you want fancy big alloys with silly little profile tyres on then thats your choice.. :laugh1:

Just been out over the moors where the snow is very deep and the landrover is a different animal, I've thrown alsorts at them and haven't used the centre diff yet

Side tracking slightly....

Regardless of your tyres what method do you use for getting down big ar&ed hairy hills with compacted snow on them?

I had some moments in the Defender last night and noted that diff lock tended to push the back out, take it out of diffock and if you got a slide on it would be less inclined to spin. I have the standard grabbers on and have to say whilst bullet proof at almost everything they were pretty awful last night.

Also do you think tyres play a major part in coming down hills, up hills and general work it's a given but downhill I am not sure.

I haven't noticed the diff lock making me slide, however I drive with the diff locked as soon as the road is white, regardless of wether I need it. This is because it helps you stop so much better especially if you are towing. If you don't beleive me try 2 test emergency stops, one locked and one normal, the front wheels will lock much easier without the diff locked.

I have even used this method on a dry motorway, you suddenly get someone brake hard in front of you while you're towing a heavy load. Just rtam in the diff lock and break hard and you will definately stop quicker. :001_smile:

I had some moments in the Defender last night and noted that diff lock tended to push the back out, take it out of diffock and if you got a slide on it would be less inclined to spin. I have the standard grabbers on and have to say whilst bullet proof at almost everything they were pretty awful last night

its because you haven’t observed getting the tyre pressure right so the tyre SLR across all your tyres match so that all the tyres then work at the same radius.

if the SLR don’t mach when you lock the centre diff it is promoting slip due to the different working radius between the front and rear axles, the unlocked centre diff stops this, though matching SLR via altering tyre pressure or by having the same pressure in all the tyres and then matching axel loads by adding some weight above the lightest axel so SLR then is matched by weight rather than pressure difference will alleviate this.

SLR is the distance from the hub centre to the ground and stands for Static Laden Radius.

I dont use diff lock, the vehicle is four wheel drive anyhow.

For going downhill I use engine braking as much as possible which if the diff isn't in distributes the engine braking force very evenly to each tyre, I then just cover the brake pedal incase a little bit of additional braking is required

If you lock diffs and have uneveness in tyre radius (as explained by B101uk) is forces a wheel to slip

My Land Rover tyre history runs as such: Firestone SATS (weren't they just fantastic off road??), Michelin XCLs (weren't they just fantastic off road???) and BFG Mud Terrains. The XCLs were very good for alerting my friend when I was approaching - he heard me at the optimum distance, just long enough to boil the kettle and make the tea before I pulled up on his drive!

The BFGs were excellent on and off road and lasted very well. I had done about 26,000 miles on them by the time I sold the Ninety and they looked hardly worn.

My present Land Rover, a TD4 Freelander has Michelins on which are the originals and have done 44,000 miles and still have plenty life left. So whilst top name tyres are more pricey, they reward your investment by lasting long. (apart from the XCLs which I went through in 10,000 miles!).

I have been out in the Freelander delivering logs today and it has not let me down once, despite severe conditions in the north east:thumbup:

The BF Goodrich KM2's I had fitted are awesome.

I've had many many different tyres and always lean toward aggressive Mud Terrains because I go off road a lot and deep into woodland

The trouble with MT's is they are nearly always noisy and rubbish in the snow for side on or braking traction.

The KM2s have performed better than any tyre I have ever had on are are as quiet as a normal tyre !!

The Greenway Anacondas I have just taken off were horrendously noisy, so much so you couldn't hear the radio whilst on the motorway and people used to hear you coming from 30 miles away

These are dear at £130 a corner fitted but by ek lad they're brill

Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 | BFGoodrich Tires

What size are you running for the landy, and do they carry a heavy load well 3500kg gross?