Phytophthora lateralis found at Loch Lomond

scotspine1

• 2 years later...

I've recently just dealt with a 3rd site near Loch Lomond where I suspected P. lateralis was the culprit, the Lawsons were either killed outright stone dead or infected by the pathogen, it seems to be spreading fast. Forestry Commission visited the site twice and took samples, definitely P. lateralis.

If it does take hold in a big way it will see the loss of probably to most important garden conifer in the UK.

I've recently just dealt with a 3rd site near Loch Lomond where I suspected P. lateralis was the culprit, the Lawsons were either killed outright stone dead or infected by the pathogen, it seems to be spreading fast. Forestry Commission visited the site twice and took samples, definitely P. lateralis.

If it does take hold in a big way it will see the loss of probably to most important garden conifer in the UK.

Unless treatments are done by arborists unhindered by "kill all the hosts and then the problem is solved" approach by government agencies that follow the fire-fighting model. :thumbdown: This approach tried and failed with Emerald Ash Borer in the US, and set back field research for years.

Treatments from the textbook Diseases of Trees and Shrubs, p. 356-366: In the soil, increase aeration, drainage, calcium, and microbial activity. On the tree, prune out dead tissue and heat infected areas. :gasthrower:

This is not rocket surgery, with no bogeyman of chemical usage involved. :001_tt2: re that aversion, it seems a curious for an agency to shrink from soil drenches, citing general environmental concerns, whilst advocating, even mandating, the removal of perfectly functional trees that are temporarily colonised.

Where's the calculation of the environmental damage caused by the loss of the tree? Not to mention the oil and smoke spewed by the machines, and the soil disturbance needed to get the job done. How's all that compare with dilute fungistats? :001_rolleyes:

Unless treatments are done by arborists unhindered by "kill all the hosts and then the problem is solved" approach by government agencies that follow the fire-fighting model. :thumbdown: This approach tried and failed with Emerald Ash Borer in the US, and set back field research for years.

Treatments from the textbook Diseases of Trees and Shrubs, p. 356-366: In the soil, increase aeration, drainage, calcium, and microbial activity. On the tree, prune out dead tissue and heat infected areas. :gasthrower:

This is not rocket surgery, with no bogeyman of chemical usage involved. :001_tt2: re that aversion, it seems a curious for an agency to shrink from soil drenches, citing general environmental concerns, whilst advocating, even mandating, the removal of perfectly functional trees that are temporarily colonised.

Where's the calculation of the environmental damage caused by the loss of the tree? Not to mention the oil and smoke spewed by the machines, and the soil disturbance needed to get the job done. How's all that compare with dilute fungistats? :001_rolleyes:

Guy, are you quoting from Sinclairs 'Diseases of Trees and Shrubs'? I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

You've alluded to heating dead tissues in other posts and I've seen one or two youtube videos where you advocate it. I don't believe that I've read this anywhere else, in the mainstream literature. Is this a personal practice of yours or something that is gaining momentum in the States? If it is, can you provide some suggested reading.:thumbup1: