346 xp chain tensioning problem!!

richyrich

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres what i do, tension the chain till its just slightly slack, tighten the nuts so everythings on properly,, runs ur saw up reving up and down 4 2-3 seconds, stop your saw and the chain will normaly feel lose again so slacken the nuts and tweek it up again. this time it should stay the correct tension.... i did have a problem with the bar nose sproket once where it jammed up, at first i though it was the clutch on my saw but then relised what it was. hope this is some help

thanks for your replies-

i have figured what the problem is.i tried it with an old bar and chain, it was fine.

i checked that the new bar and chain were correct gauge.

after playing with the chain and bar i noticed that the chain was riding up on itself and kinking- even jamming 2 links together.

i sprayed loads of grease on - this did not make a massive difference.

figured its a crap husqvarna chain (hopefully bar ok) - so i have ordered an oregon one- hopefully better, if not will have to try a new bar!!

heres what i do, tension the chain till its just slightly slack, tighten the nuts so everythings on properly,, runs ur saw up reving up and down 4 2-3 seconds, stop your saw and the chain will normaly feel lose again so slacken the nuts and tweek it up again. this time it should stay the correct tension.... i did have a problem with the bar nose sproket once where it jammed up, at first i though it was the clutch on my saw but then relised what it was. hope this is some help

tried that thanks but the chain was that tight it did not want to move- even though it was 'slack' at the bottom- think its chain (see previous post)

Sorted? Make sure that you press the nose of the bar down on a log or something that won't damage the teeth when you are tightening. I tighten mine so i can just see the tangs if i pull the chain down then i tighten the nuts up and away i go. I find the oregon chains are just as temperamental as the husky ones mate, as already mentioned, i think they are the same manufacturer anyway. Not sure how a new chain is going to help though?

Just take it back to the dealer and tell him to sort it out!

Im not overly impressed with my ne 346xp anyway.