Supplying firewood timber

davidjm55

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site but I've been reading it quite a lot over the past few months. We are an Arb contractor in the West Midlands with a lot of equipment, including a 44T Volvo timber lorry. I'm on the verge of going into forestry work and buying my own lots of standing timber (oak/ash/beech etc) suitable for firewood with a maximum dbh of say 30cm, and would like to know if anyone would be interested in buying regular 25tonne lots from me on a delivered basis. I'm trying to get an idea of the market price and was wondering if anyone could give me an indication.....

Thanks

David

been quoted for further deliveries £65-68 / tonne , delivered ,machine harvested 30cm hardwood. a bit too much,what are your thoughts to profit margins.

Can I ask how much you charge per cubic meter Bob?

Currently I charge £95-00 inc 5% vat. That leaves £90-00. Given that you prob get 1.5 cubic meters per tonne so the cost of the wood is £42-00 which leaves £48-00. Doesn't seem a lot to me.

I don't see how there is any profit there unless you are getting more like £120-00 a cubic meter.

Can I ask how much you charge per cubic meter Bob?

Currently I charge £95-00 inc 5% vat. That leaves £90-00. Given that you prob get 1.5 cubic meters per tonne so the cost of the wood is £42-00 which leaves £48-00. Doesn't seem a lot to me.

I don't see how there is any profit there unless you are getting more like £120-00 a cubic meter.

Remember to take off delivery cost average 10miles ea way at 60p a mile = £12

Wear and tear depreciation on machines. petrol for saws and processor cherry. Takes me 1.5 hrs to process and deliver a cu = £15 an hour with no sick pay or holiday. If you do a night shift at asda they pay + £10an hour. I agree if they charge £60 a tonne for cord all you can do is pass it on if I break the £100 a cu barrier that will kill it dead as people wont pay it. Rather than be a long term sustainable heat source it will be a fad.