Fine art- a window into the past of our veteran trees

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

I would never have thought that arboriculture would lead me to an appreciation of mycology, even less to an appreciation of the fine landscape painters of history. I can see this becoming a new personal journey of discovery and learning, so i thought i would share this interesting subject with all of you. Lets see what we can all find and add to these wonderful oportunities to get a good glimpse of how trees looked hundreds of years ago, how they might have been managed and offering a glimpse of how highly valued they where within the landscape of our beautiful country, and others too:001_cool:

all art counts here, and suspect there will be much in old tapestries

I will start with a few Ive found tonight, begining with a painting called-

"under the hawthorn" big isnt it!

597658a2b4fe1_Underthehawthorn.jpg.95e4c7c875155e6f39f9a7f34e95bf59.jpg

0538.jpg.4874108aa8fff26fc5f88de8c75b89dd.jpg

0800.jpg.d4ef65254c4bf9b8141f3048ba33d4de.jpg

constable6.jpg.3997f81cfd3176fd5aa3810655d40d8f.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intresting view to gather knowledge. I have recently taken a intrest in old b/w-pics from the town im working in as a way of dating some of the trees.

I found a picture of a limetree, that I had to fell due to extensive whiterot, when it was planted around 1905!

Great thread, trees appear in alot of art, and Japanese art has some very beautiful examples of trees in art.

I quite like these pictures, by American artists, mainly because of the way the trees help frame the picture.

RalfMPearson.jpg

this one is an etching by Ralf M Pearson.

EdwardHicks.jpg

this one is by Edward Hicks

Cough, cough, yawn, yawn......................there all a bunch of tree killing neanderthals Tony. I wouldn't bother :lol:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/2874-trees-painted-british-landscape.html

hello stranger, was worried about you, been too quiet around here, wot ya been doing then?

as for the thread, great minds think alike!:thumbup: