when were chainsaws invented

cs logs

talking to my grandad other day when he worked for forestry in 50s he said they never had chainsaws it was all done wiv axe and hand cross cutting saws he said it took ages compared to what it does today lol thought there would have been chain saws out then what year were they made and what did they look like compared to a new saw

FROM THE NET.....

The chainsaw has become a staple of most garages and workshops and has revolutionized the way humans have harvested, prepared, and transported wood for building. Over time, this tool has evolved into various forms, including chainsaws for materials like concrete, and has led the way for development of other hand-held mechanical tools. There are a few important names to know in the development of the modern chainsaw.

Function

A chainsaw is a mechanical tool, most often motorized and powered by gasoline, which features a motor (typically internal combustion or electric), a long bar made of strong metal alloy and a circular chain. The chain rotates around the blade by means of an internal centrifugal clutch. The chain is made with various types of "teeth," small links which connect to one another interdependently to achieve maximum cutting power.

History

The first prototype of the modern chainsaw was most likely a saw invented to cut bone by a surgeon in the early 1830s. This surgeon, Dr. Bernard Heine, called his instrument the osteotome. It was powered by a winder, not a motor, but the theory of application was the same. In 1927, Emil Lerp, the founder of the Dolmar company, created the first gasoline-powered chainsaw based on a very similar design. It weighed more than 100 pounds and could only be operated by several men.

Then, in 1929, Andreas Stihl created his own version of the gasoline-powered chainsaw, and was the first to create a mass-manufacturing system to churn out hundreds of saws at a time. His company is known as the STIHL Corporation, with offices worldwide and thousands of employees.

Considerations

The story of the invention of the chainsaw would not be complete without a later addition to the tool's evolution. In 1946, a man named Joseph Cox was chopping wood and began to watch a timber beetle larva chewing easily through the logs around him. Nature provided the inspiration: jaws with teeth that could cut either with or against the grain of the wood. In 1948, he revealed the Oregon chain for chainsaws. The product mimicked the teeth of the timber beetle larva with interlocking links, and was so popular that Cox founded the Oregon Chain Company shortly thereafter. In addition to making waves with this chain style, the Oregon Company made history again in the early 1960s, with the release of the Homelite chainsaw series: the first modern, lightweight and portable chainsaws.

Types

There are many types of chainsaws on the market, but the Oregon company is the largest manufacturer of chains, in addition to its lines of other cutting tools, chainsaws, and accessories. The STIHL company remains one of the largest manufacturers of chainsaws and hand-held tools, with offices all over the world, and the Dolmar company, whose main offices are in Hamburg, continues to produce cutting tools for all sizes and types of work. Other popular companies in the chainsaw market include McCulloch, Craftsman and Husqvarna; many companies have expanded the work of Stihl, Cox and Lerp to create a wide variety of hand-held mechanical tools.

By making chains that are edged with diamond rather than metal, and enlarging the machine, the cutting power of the chainsaw is expanded to be capable of cutting materials like concrete and brick. These chains were pioneered by an affiliate group of the Oregon Chain Company in the early 1990s, and are now used on many concrete chainsaw varieties, especially those made by Stanley. These saws have proven useful in the emergency medical fields and for rescue squads and fire departments across the nation, as they can be life-saving in a disaster or crisis situation by removing people trapped in debris or wreckage.

Considerations

The chainsaw is also used in a variety of entertainment. Chainsaw competitions are held in many countries around the world, where experts practice for months before gathering to compete in various cutting and sharpening contests. Some modern musicians have even used chainsaws as instruments.

FROM THE NET.....

The chainsaw has become a staple of most garages and workshops and has revolutionized the way humans have harvested, prepared, and transported wood for building. Over time, this tool has evolved into various forms, including chainsaws for materials like concrete, and has led the way for development of other hand-held mechanical tools. There are a few important names to know in the development of the modern chainsaw.

Function

A chainsaw is a mechanical tool, most often motorized and powered by gasoline, which features a motor (typically internal combustion or electric), a long bar made of strong metal alloy and a circular chain. The chain rotates around the blade by means of an internal centrifugal clutch. The chain is made with various types of "teeth," small links which connect to one another interdependently to achieve maximum cutting power.

History

The first prototype of the modern chainsaw was most likely a saw invented to cut bone by a surgeon in the early 1830s. This surgeon, Dr. Bernard Heine, called his instrument the osteotome. It was powered by a winder, not a motor, but the theory of application was the same. In 1927, Emil Lerp, the founder of the Dolmar company, created the first gasoline-powered chainsaw based on a very similar design. It weighed more than 100 pounds and could only be operated by several men.

Then, in 1929, Andreas Stihl created his own version of the gasoline-powered chainsaw, and was the first to create a mass-manufacturing system to churn out hundreds of saws at a time. His company is known as the STIHL Corporation, with offices worldwide and thousands of employees.

Considerations

The story of the invention of the chainsaw would not be complete without a later addition to the tool's evolution. In 1946, a man named Joseph Cox was chopping wood and began to watch a timber beetle larva chewing easily through the logs around him. Nature provided the inspiration: jaws with teeth that could cut either with or against the grain of the wood. In 1948, he revealed the Oregon chain for chainsaws. The product mimicked the teeth of the timber beetle larva with interlocking links, and was so popular that Cox founded the Oregon Chain Company shortly thereafter. In addition to making waves with this chain style, the Oregon Company made history again in the early 1960s, with the release of the Homelite chainsaw series: the first modern, lightweight and portable chainsaws.

Types

There are many types of chainsaws on the market, but the Oregon company is the largest manufacturer of chains, in addition to its lines of other cutting tools, chainsaws, and accessories. The STIHL company remains one of the largest manufacturers of chainsaws and hand-held tools, with offices all over the world, and the Dolmar company, whose main offices are in Hamburg, continues to produce cutting tools for all sizes and types of work. Other popular companies in the chainsaw market include McCulloch, Craftsman and Husqvarna; many companies have expanded the work of Stihl, Cox and Lerp to create a wide variety of hand-held mechanical tools.

By making chains that are edged with diamond rather than metal, and enlarging the machine, the cutting power of the chainsaw is expanded to be capable of cutting materials like concrete and brick. These chains were pioneered by an affiliate group of the Oregon Chain Company in the early 1990s, and are now used on many concrete chainsaw varieties, especially those made by Stanley. These saws have proven useful in the emergency medical fields and for rescue squads and fire departments across the nation, as they can be life-saving in a disaster or crisis situation by removing people trapped in debris or wreckage.

Considerations

The chainsaw is also used in a variety of entertainment. Chainsaw competitions are held in many countries around the world, where experts practice for months before gathering to compete in various cutting and sharpening contests. Some modern musicians have even used chainsaws as instruments.

I was just about to say that.

The first British built chainsaw was designed by a chap called J. Clubley-Armstrong and built by an engineering company called T.H & J Daniels in my hometown of Stroud, Gloucestershire in 1941.It was sold under the brand name of Danarm. They originally had twin cyliner Villiers engines ranging from the entry level 80cc engine up to 350cc. The larger model took bars up to 7ft. In 1954 the first 2 stroke model was launched with a 98cc engine and a diaphragm carb so this light wieght, 28lb saw could be used on any angle, unlike its 4 stroke older brothers. Danarm were also the first company to produce saws with anti vibration systems, namely coil spring mountings.

The company produced its last saw in 1984.

God, I must get out more!!!

• 3 months later...

Emil Lerp and he tested it on mount Dolmar in Germany hence the name of the saw.

When i worked for Sachs Dolmar we were told it was in 1926.

Good old Dolmar.

Did you know that Danarm helped the first nylon crankcase production and many other firsts in chainsaw evolution.

How about we create a chainsaw museum forum with pictures, this would be a global collection and would give a reference point for those seeking the historical background of the industry ?

Emil Lerp and he tested it on mount Dolmar in Germany hence the name of the saw.

Good old Dolmar.

Did you know that Danarm helped the first nylon crankcase production and many other firsts in chainsaw evolution.

How about we create a chainsaw museum forum with pictures, this would be a global collection and would give a reference point for those seeking the historical background of the industry ?

Great idea !

When I was in British Columbia many moons ago I cam across quite a few books about the history of the Canadian lumber industry Full of fabulous old pics a bit like your avatar.One I rememer had about ten guys sat along the edge of a hand cut gob eating their sandwiches. I so wish I had bought them but will try and track them down. Giant circular saw blades,log flumes, sixteen horse lumber carts ,etc etc.

Great idea !

When I was in British Columbia many moons ago I cam across quite a few books about the history of the Canadian lumber industry Full of fabulous old pics a bit like your avatar.One I rememer had about ten guys sat along the edge of a hand cut gob eating their sandwiches. I so wish I had bought them but will try and track them down. Giant circular saw blades,log flumes, sixteen horse lumber carts ,etc etc.

Good old Dolmar.

This kind of already exists at:

Chain Saw Collectors Corner - Gasoline Chain Saws by Manufacturer

But I would be well up for a chainsaw database here on arbtalk!

:thumbup: