What happens when the lad has a go !

bjam1964

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With regards to the original post - I can't see from the photos that he 'took the ears' out to stop the stem splitting up the middle.

A dog tooth cut may have been best, but taking the ears out should stop a major split like that as well.

not true i'm afraid mate 'cutting the ears' will not have any bearing on the stem splitting, and will in no way prevent a barber-chair.

cutting the ears is to prevent fiber-pull from the corners of the hinge, which will affect the value of the butt log, and can to a certain extent steer the tree to one side of the intended lay once the face closes...

Why wasn't he watched more closely? new guys need watching for a long time surely you could see what was going on? ash can be unforgiving, more so when you've got a pulling rope. YOU should have told him to dog tooth it, as he probably didn't even know what a barber chair was. but hell i dont know the whole story, but a wake up call for all involved.

Why wasn't he watched more closely? new guys need watching for a long time surely you could see what was going on? ash can be unforgiving, more so when you've got a pulling rope. YOU should have told him to dog tooth it, as he probably didn't even know what a barber chair was. but hell i dont know the whole story, but a wake up call for all involved.

I fail to see why jumping on the bandwagon at the orginal poster has any relevance? he was simply showing something that happened with a college lad at work, hes taking time out to post it and it is a good post because young and new lads will learn from this. Maybe his college should teach him more or maybe nptcs should have more to with what types are prone to barber chairs etc.

And before anyone points out that this is a discusion website i relise that and im all for discusing as it has been I just fail to see why blaming the original poster or blaming anyone for that matter is neccasary.:001_smile:

I fail to see why jumping on the bandwagon at the orginal poster has any relevance? he was simply showing something that happened with a college lad at work, hes taking time out to post it and it is a good post because young and new lads will learn from this. Maybe his college should teach him more or maybe nptcs should have more to with what types are prone to barber chairs etc.

And before anyone points out that this is a discusion website i relise that and im all for discusing as it has been I just fail to see why blaming the original poster or blaming anyone for that matter is neccasary.:001_smile:

Don't you think that "young and new lads" will learn more from this if the story is discussed.

Surely thats more constuctive than everyone simply posting "thanks for posting"

Oh, by the way, Thanks for Posting, bjam1964 :001_smile:

Edited by Bolt

No Problem Dave, I put it down on paper several years ago when carrying out inhouse training for a large utility arb company, a lot of the guys were brand new to the industry, it certainly pricks a few ears up to how dangerous this line of work is and how if your just slightly of your guard the **** can hit the fan big time.

Jason

Thanks Jason i'll program it into one of my sessions next week.

regards

Dave:thumbup1:

Don't you think that "young and new lads" will learn more from this if the story is discussed.

Surely thats more constuctive than everyone simply posting "thanks for posting"

Oh, by the way, Thanks for Posting, bjam1964 :001_smile:

Im not saying dont discus infact i tried to say the opposite it is good to discuss it but I think blaming the orignal poster and saying 'you should of wacthed him more or you should have stopped him on the back cut' is utterly ridiculous because it has happened now and the original poster has posted this and it is a good disucion point.

there is more to discusing than blaming people and telling them how they should of done things better.

I just fail to see why blaming the original poster or blaming anyone for that matter is neccasary.:001_smile:

Someone on work experience should be "looked after"

The fact that someone allowed him to do the cut, then allowed him to continue the cut actually placed the lads life in serious danger and he was very lucky he wasnt killed

Had he been killed, you can rest assured someone would be to blame