Limb walking

ecolojim

Morning guys

Thus far, as you all know, Ive been learning to tree climb off my own back. So far, Entering the canopy: fine, descending: fine, moving up and down and round within the canopy: fine, moving laterally.... nicht so gut

Problem is, I dont know what im missing. I looked in the tree climber's companion, very little to nothing on the art of limb walking. I was climbing a beech yesterday, and today my shins are plenty bruised from slipping off the branch all the time and swinging back into the main stem.

This is probably going to sound really stupid to you all, I know im supposed to do something with my lanyard, but what? do i sling it under the limb im walking on? Im at a loss

Trouble with working part time, is I get little time to actually talk about it with the climber ive been working with,

Ive ordered the fundamentals of general tree work (wallet says ouch) in the hope that it has more information for me,

but please please post your tips and tricks, 411s, basic how to's, anything

thanks guys

Jim

I very rarely use my lanyard until I get to where I want to work. Even then not that much.

Try to find a limb to start with the has another one parallel with it and slightly higher to use as a handrail. This will improve your balance and confidence. Also try to find an anchor point set out from the centre over a big limb. That way you wont swing into the trunk so hard.

You are going to fall off a fair bit at first. Success comes with practise. Lean into your rope, get your centre of gravity low, and stretch for the handholds.

Good luck!

Yeah, what they said. Keep as much weight as you can on your rope and keep your knees slight bent - so that you are sitting back in your harness not getting pulled off the limb towards your anchor.

Maybe it will help to focus on a point on the limb that has a nice foothold such as a fork, keep your eyes on it and just go for it. Keep one hand on your hitch and keep letting the slack out 'til you get there. That sounds pretty obvious but sometimes you just have to stop deliberating and go!

It'll be easy soon!

A nice high anchor point means less of a degree in your swing arch should you find yourself aiming for the trunk again. Try triangulating using your lanyard or other short strop/second rope off a nearby branch.

:thumbup1: use the other end of the rope or a long strop. Try to get the strop as far out as possible.

As soon as your rope hets past 45 degrees, alot of people get uncomfortable, best way is to walk backwards not forwards and bend your legs. Just get the highest, safe anchor you can.

You'll get your technique eventualy and it comes with confidence.

If you do limb walk a long way and your side strop isn't long enough to bring you all the way back in, use the other end of your climbing line. Sometimes you can get out to around thirty foot on a smooth branch with no pegs and it's hard to get back in in a controlled manner.

Throw the other end of your rope round a crotch on the end of the branch and control your swing with that.

Something I learnt watching Peter (cheers Peter)