Tractor 80/100 hp for woods what do you think

mendiplogs

£10k is a good budget, tbh i would be looking at something like a tidy case 956xl with an easily removable loader for that budget, would be easy to maintain, easy to source parts, you should get one 40kph,

i would like to drop on an 844xln with the low profile cab, only stand less than 9ft tall so nice and compact for low barns and under branches

Hi Jon,

Nothing was wrong with it traded it in for a new Valtra A92 with a loader. The one as my avatar actually. Think it was '94 reg. As for why i didn't like it i just didn't like the cab it was an unplesant place to be. Everyone else loved it just not me. I tend to do a lot of tractor loader/skidder/forwarding stuff and doing it in an unpleasnt cab just makes it more hard work than it has to be.

10k is a good budget for a tractor you could probally pick up one with a loader too for that money. Have you looked on farm trader they have some 390s for about 12k 4wd too. Also Wilsons have a Valmet 665 85hp tractor in for 12k.

Andy

I would want 2 for that price. I dont like working with just 1 if it goes wrong you are stuffed whereas if you have 2 you can carry on while the other is fixed. You also spend less time swapping over equipment. Yes you have 2 bits of kit to maintain but each is used only part of the time so takes longer to wear out. Plus if one gets stuck you have another to pull it out.

ford 6610 in trading places not sure how good they are though?

I've got a 6610 Ap cab 1986 on its way to 8000 hours and still working for a living, they are pretty basic unless you get a later SQ cabbed one but for in the woods your better off with an AP or LP cab lower overall and steel roof, avoid the early column change fords later ones are ok once you get used to them, good if your doing alot of shunting about, if you can find one with dual power all the better, its hydraulic splitter and doubles the number of gears in effect, oh and go for the later cross block engine as early ones could go porous, but if your looking for a basic tractor to do a job then I'd go for an older ford or a case, although the xl cabbed case are fibreglass roofed same as ford sq cabs so not so good round trees :001_cool: