RB44 v Mog

Dean Lofthouse

Still in a quandry over what to do about getting shut of the 130 for somthing with better weight carrying ability. At the moment I'm going to do some research and save up a bit in the meantime so I don't have to get as much finance.

I was talking to the guys who do the Tipper conversions at the show and he suggested RB44.

I told him I had considered them but all I saw were knackered or old. He said you can get a really low milage excellent condition one from a firm that supplies ex military stuff for around 8k.

Sounded like a viable affordable alternative to Mog or 130 plus it carries around 2.5t payload.

I do know they had a little bad press about brakes, but that was supposed to be sorted.

Has anyone had one or know anything about them?

I understand they have low box, diff locks and are very capable off road.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can give you a difinative answer .... The RB44 is an Awsome tool. Think oversized overbuilt landrover. I have had 2 now, the ex military RB44 and the Ex utility S75.

We prefered the lighter military version, I bought mine with 900 miles on the clock for £5500... It was the best small truck we ever bought. We converted the original aluminium deck to a tipping chip box, would hold about 9 m3 of chip comfortably.

The upside is all the components are readily available from any truckspares, the are narrow enough to go where a landrover will, the will go anywhere a 130 will offroad (and further!) and will carry 2.5t without complaint.

We had the brakes go on ours, our local truck mechanic replaced the whole lot for under £300.

Downside is the poor(ish) steering lock, the ex military tyres can be slightly crap, and the DPM paint is a nightmare to strip and repaint.

For you Dean, I would say it would be perfect.

The only problem is getting one, as people have cottened on how good they are and there are very few left.

Oh, and try and get a manual, as the 3 speed auto can be a bit sluggish.

I have a friend who's father bought a Renault version it grosses at 5.5 ton has low box and diff locks. other than that it has less creature comforts than a seriesI landy!! theirs is ex military too but they have had to do a bit of work to get it through an SVA test. They also used to have a Renault Boughton that had a similar PTO setup to a landy on the front for a winch.

I worked for a guy a few years ago who had 2, both the 3 speed auto and manual. Yup, turning circle is more that of a super tanker than a speed boat. I can agree the 3 speed auto is a bit sluggish and the manual was a bit temperemental to say the least but once you got used to the box is was fine. a good truck but the guy who owned it had changed the tyres for road going so the milage/road noise was better - this did mean it got stuck on a damp footbal pitch...