sweet chestnut

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll drop Basil (Will) a text get his input on the matter. He does a fair bit of coppice with a Keto 51 head. He is based in Essex.

brilliant, many thanks in advance, keen to learn of new methods!:thumbup1: figured also that the labour of the job would kill what little profit there might be, so this sounds like a good avenue to explore:001_smile:

Fencing product! make some real monney at it if you dont no how to make fencing supplies get someone in to teach its not as easy as it looks.

Make sure your lengths are bang on what you want them to be other wise youll loose out BIG time belive me.

We use off cuts for kindling and its great stuff have also used it for charcoal but theres no monney in it for anything other than fencing products. Oh and its also used for chip wood for biomass:thumbdown:

we have a 5 acre chestnut copse - but it is much more mature than your one

we make fence posts and rails - but it is hard work and not that profitable - compared to selling it as logs

there are always people looking for chestnut though - have you had a look in woodlots to see who is advertising for timber wanted?

fencing contractors are always looking for good timber - but tbh - your stuff looks a big thin and not straight enough

we also sell to yurt makers - they want the thinner stuff and will travel miles to cut the right material

there is money to be made in making stuff from the greenwood, if you are that way inclined - trellis work, sheep hurdles, summer houses, shingles etc etc

chestnut makes great firewood - but it does need a long time to season (we season our stuff for about 4 years) - and it does spit, so is best for wood burners.

if you fancy a visit to hampshire - you would be more than welcome to pop in and have a look around - my father could give you plenty of helpful tips and might even show you how to work with the greenwood (if you were interested)

learn something new everyday!:thumbup1:

reletively new to the forestry side, we have about 30 acres of young woodland, doing increasing amounts of firewood and kindling but we're supposed to be farmers really:001_tongue:

My wife keeps reminding me that I am supposed to be a farmer but the timber seems to have taken over. I think farmers have an important role to play in expanding the forest industry.

My wife keeps reminding me that I am supposed to be a farmer but the timber seems to have taken over. I think farmers have an important role to play in expanding the forest industry.

In Sweden for example, nearly every farm has forestry as welll as ag. Probably because the ground is frozen for the whole winter. My farm is a bog so although I have timber, I just cant get there