Oak Tree on Building

detritus21

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

t5.jpg

Picture of the roof. The branch through the roof was close on 6 feet long. The girl whose room was underneath was out on the tiles when it fell over. A lad came out wanting a suvineer for nearly filling his pants whilst playing his playstation when it hit

t6.jpg

t7.jpg

On the floor. I'll explain the process used at the end. Only damage we caused was knocking hte cctv camera off the wall when I dropped a branch off and took a tiny chunk out of a window frame.

t9.jpg

The fungus at the base of the tree. Any ideas I'm no good on fungi.

t10.jpg

The stump and part way through tidying. The stump where cut measured in at 4 feet dimameter. We jacked it back up into a more traditional position using a 3 tonne farm jack which did a fine job.

t11.jpg

The site as we were in the final throws of tidying.

The wood was left on site so that it could be taken by the management company for use at home. I'd estimate in the region of 6 tonnes of timber as a minimum.

The final method used for the dismantling of the tree went as follows. The tree as was originally is below

treeon1.jpg

Removed the two big side limbs small gob cut to angle the fall away from the building. Snedded up and chipped and logged.

Next stripped the side branches using a combination of climbing and the MEWP. Once we got the MEWP into position it was easy. Stripped it up to the roof.

Once it was stripped back took off the sections on the roof leaving an overhang of about a foot onto the roof. Originally tried lifting off roof using a chain wrench winch rated to 6 tonnes which did nothing at all. Realised that with the moment on the tree this wasn't going to work. The stem up to the roof was about 50feet and at an angle of 45 degrees was going to take alot more force than we could manage.

It ended up being like Stephen Blair suggested in a way. MEWP as far away from trunk as possible and under cut to a point where the branch buckled and basically slid down the building 10feet. Then repeated it further down the trunk but went all the way through safely removing the tree off the building. This section was quite unnerving but was the best given the situation and took alot of nerve to do it knowing there was a lot of risk involved. It was obvious which way the trunk was going to go once severed it was just a case of getting the saw running and cutting.

First time I've ever done such a big tree in that kind of situation but well worth it.

Not a great pic coz of the saw dust but it looks suspiciously like Merip. Not sure which one tho. Might even been Griffola.

I've had a look on google at other pics of Merip and from what I remember before I spread sawdust over it looks like a lot of the other pics of merip. This would explain the failure in the way it did along with the tree being planted on old building backfill.