Stove with back boiler

davey_b

I'm looking to get a wood burning stove tied in with a central heating system that we're going to install in a self build but while a lot of people will supply and install a wood burner I'm really struggling to find people that know how to safely integrate a wood burner to a central heating system. I phoned a plumber that I got from the HETAS site and they said they didn't do that so not quite sure why they were on the HETAS site. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows anyone about the Glasgow / central Scotland area that does this?

Ta

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Davy,

Having recently installed a wood boiler in new build, I experienced the very same problem. Couldnt find any body local that could install and commission it. Eventually found guy in Penrith to do it at thousands of £ cheaper and did a good job. Funnily he is coming to Stirling to day for more work and is going to pop in to see me, to make a couple of small adjustments to the settings. I could dig out his number for you.

Robert

Davey, try the burning question in Perth, stove and heating appliances.

Speak to Douglas, he knows all about that, tel. no. 01738 633113

A wee bit advice tho, I have gone down the route of a boiler in a stove before, and will point out the negatives;

You use lot of sticks, as the water carries the heat away and you need to babysite the stove a lot more and sometimes its hard to get a seat for feeding wood to the fire.

It is expensive to set up correctly.

The safety system will work, but it can be uncomfortable listening to it during a power cut.

I eventually changed back to a normal stove, there are good convector stoves on the market that, depending where the stove is situated, will heat a sizeable proportion of the house.

We use 2 stoves that heat all of our house, we have oil central heating as a back up, and we go through approx. 700 litres every 3 years, which is nothing compared to most people.

I would really think it thru first, it seems an ideal way of heating, but it is not without problems.

Hi,

We got rid of the LPG heating that was in our cottage when we moved in.

Replaced with a Dunsley Highlander 10CH.

It heated up most of the house just fine; this year however we have extended into the roof, and taken the opportunity to add in solar thermal panels, and we will change the open fire in the sitting room for an old morso squirrel.

I go through about 12 cubes of wood a year I think.

Thanks for all the info guys. I've been in touch with a guy in Stirling today who does this sort of thing so we'll see if anything comes of that if now I'll look these other guys up.

I'm going to put in an ASHP and solar thermal so the stove will be the 3rd thing that feeds into the thermal store. It will be setup in such a way that if we have it on and it produces heat then that will get stored in the thermal store but if not then the ASHP and solar will feed the thermal store.

Thank again.

Davey, if you havn't already already sourced a boiler stove, have a look at the Dunsley Yorkshire. Really nice, British made, solidly built and best of all, they keep the boiler out of the firebox so that your wood burns properly - hot and cleanly.

:lol:

I think he owns the company