General Tree pics

Andy Collins

Thats not quiet how it works no one works alone. Ok i cut the tree in under an hour and had cleared what was left with my groundie if were being technical sonny. A job like that would take 2.5 hours maybe if i had no arms lol.

Ok, not trying to be picky here telhol, but one and a quarter hours, x2 men is 2.5hrs. No-one is saying you couldnt do the tree in the time you stated, and a good groundie should be able to keep the ground clean so by the time you come out of the tree you can pack the gear away and drive onto next job, which hopefully can be planned to be nearby. True it may be winter, times are tighter, but your costs are increasing daily (fuel price hikes for example). You have to run your business the way that suits your needs, but why sell yourself short? Its not a case of ripping people off, more a case of not ripping yourself off.

I was thinking beach was one of my favouirite all time trees to work on untill one of these trees went on to infity to the first branch and was rotten as hell and full of wood peker holes then i realised maybe i just hate all trees!

Come on Matty you don't expect anyone to believe that do you? You bloody love it really!

Funny, today I did a couple of Beech thin/reductions too. As usual they don't look much smaller, in my defense they had been reduced quite a bit before, so I thought just a thin/clean gto contain rather than full on reduction Beech don't like heavy reductions anyway. Both had TPO's and potentially weak unions. Replaced a Cobra brace in the tree nearest thr house. Easy day really finished by 2:30

5976531956974_Marcfone-0011.jpg.83acb4b126ea13f401b709e63e369196.jpg

5976531953529_Marcfone-0010.jpg.182baabe2aa01cf096dc0ce14396e0e1.jpg

And here are some pics of my first crane job from last week, unfortunatly no fugger ever takes pictures of me at work so no action pics.

First pic is the day before, we cleared a bit from one side to give space for the crane, that took nearly 3 hours lowering.

The next few pics are the crane getting ready, then progress at first break, and final cut going in just before lunch. Took 3 hours to rig that small section off the day before, and under 3 hours to takes the rest of the tree down with the crane, it was one of the easiest and safest ways I've ever dismantled a tree if only all jobs could be so easy.

5976531961e24_Marcfone-0017.jpg.98f93fe41c8567fec8038e3da80632f8.jpg

597653196009d_Marcfone-0025.jpg.e82ef936fab04901787761259e4892f5.jpg

597653195d3a8_Marcfone-0022.jpg.420abfa6bdee638ce6169749c89fa8c0.jpg

597653195b3fd_Marcfone-0021.jpg.130ac816af1681db66423d04fa565720.jpg

5976531958bde_Marcfone-0014.jpg.291304456a0e61a53d0df9327ec23a28.jpg

again nice jobs marc!

I got a big crane job coming up hopfully as soon as the tpo permision comes that it is condemed!definietly the easyest and funnest way but gonna have to hire a timber trailer on sight as well so dont know if im gonna ,make any money out the job ...maybe in fire wood

again nice jobs marc!

I got a big crane job coming up hopfully as soon as the tpo permision comes that it is condemed!definietly the easyest and funnest way but gonna have to hire a timber trailer on sight as well so dont know if im gonna ,make any money out the job ...maybe in fire wood

We have a local guy remove all our big bits of timber for free, he'll make good use of that Oak planking it up and may make some good money out of it, which makes up for all the crap we give him!

You ever looked round for guys to extract your timber for free? we have 2 or 3 blokes fighting over our wood, the deal is for all the good stuff they must also take the crap!

Ok, not trying to be picky here telhol, but one and a quarter hours, x2 men is 2.5hrs. No-one is saying you couldnt do the tree in the time you stated, and a good groundie should be able to keep the ground clean so by the time you come out of the tree you can pack the gear away and drive onto next job, which hopefully can be planned to be nearby. True it may be winter, times are tighter, but your costs are increasing daily (fuel price hikes for example). You have to run your business the way that suits your needs, but why sell yourself short? Its not a case of ripping people off, more a case of not ripping yourself off.

Hey dont get me wrong im making money not bundles but its buying all my tree gear i just keep them real low to get the jobs cos im a small business its almost all profit plus any thing i spend on the business i enjoy doing. I have always timed myself previous boss was a nob never happy so that where i get my time from yeh when i got down all i did was pack my gear up.

Telhol its difficult to run your own buisness i'm sure, but if your quality is good then you should be charging more, don't look to under price your competition charge more than them cause your worth it!

I don't like to comment on other peoples work I just thought your Silver Birch pruning job was o.k, if you did a good tidy up and the client was happy then you should be charging double, I'd charge a minimum of £150 on that job plus VAT! Regardless of how may jobs I had that day or how close they are, i'm not always going to be so busy.

And its not ripping your customers off, charging £75 is just ripping yourself off.

What I did find surprising is you said you can knock out 5 of those jobs a day at £75 so its good money, dude that means you have to be real busy all the time what if you hit a slack period! Its in slack periods I'd think you need to lower your price.

Why don't you double your price then you only need to win half the jobs to make the same money, build up a client list who are happy paying you premium money for premium work?

I don't mean to dig, running your own buisness is hard, so respect to you for giving it a go, and I hope in the future you do well.