finchyo

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers for the replys guys.

Will get the ivy stripped off and see whats underneath. Will suggest a clean out of the deadwood and do a little crown lift at the same time. If its good underneath will proced with a light crown reduction or fell if not.

Edited by finchyo

This tree is unlikely to have any decay, its never been pruned, its young, having only just or about to reach mature stage.

it would reduce well, thinning an ash is ridiculous a light loving species that will just put that growth back on in the same place in no time, as soon as the light hits the bark!

bats may be using the ivy, sever and allow to drop of naturaly, one hit removal of ivy on most trees is asking for issues, particulary sunscald where the cambium has been shaded for years and is thin.

The tree looks like a good candidate for a 30% crown reduction . There doesnt seem to be a need to fell it or to pollard it unless there are structual issues.

I think i would stip the ivy and re inspect the tree so that you are not guessing at what is underneath. If there are signs of basal or heart wood decay then i would just fell it rather than pollard .

Outherwise a 30% reduction and major deadwood would probable do the job

This tree is unlikely to have any decay, its never been pruned, its young, having only just or about to reach mature stage.

it would reduce well, thinning an ash is ridiculous a light loving species that will just put that growth back on in the same place in no time, as soon as the light hits the bark!

bats may be using the ivy, sever and allow to drop of naturaly, one hit removal of ivy on most trees is asking for issues, particulary sunscald where the cambium has been shaded for years and is thin.

Funnily enough thats excatly what we do where i am based. Just cut the ivy off at the base leaving a 1 foot gap so the stems cant rejoin. The ivy will die and drop its leaves but the stems will still be of use to bats. Its rather amazing seing the different species of bat that use ivy clad trees even after all the ivy has died.

@hamadryad & RangerMatt: Cheers for the info on ivy. Sounds a better plan, would take ages to remove it otherwise.

No basal decay that I could see so the stem should be good. It would take a good crown reduction and the client does want the tree size reducing and not the tree out really. It will put the growth back on quick, will just have to be done again in a few years lol.

does that go for all trees then :confused1:

No of course not, different trees can have different things done to them, and of the course the condition of any tree can lead to other actions being a good idea.

I agree with what the others are saying about severign the ivy first, that is usually the best way to go. But I see there are still recomendations for reduction, personally I don't agree but its not up to me.

You say it would grow back quick and need re doing, that to me proves its not worth doing. And Hama says thinning is rediculous as it would put the growth straight back on again. I'm guessign he's thinking that would be the case if over thinned, the thinning I was suggesting was more of crown clean than a full thin, its not overly dense so does not need thinning fully.

If your going to reduce it, show us some pics of when you are done.

No of course not, different trees can have different things done to them, and of the course the condition of any tree can lead to other actions being a good idea.

I agree with what the others are saying about severign the ivy first, that is usually the best way to go. But I see there are still recomendations for reduction, personally I don't agree but its not up to me.

You say it would grow back quick and need re doing, that to me proves its not worth doing. And Hama says thinning is rediculous as it would put the growth straight back on again. I'm guessign he's thinking that would be the case if over thinned, the thinning I was suggesting was more of crown clean than a full thin, its not overly dense so does not need thinning fully.

If your going to reduce it, show us some pics of when you are done.

i agree with the it will stick the growth back on straight away, but surely if they want to keep the tree but want it safer then reduction is the only way to go, reduce the sail of the tree and reduceing the end weight is making it safer. the fact they will need it re reducing in the future isnt a reason to just fell it. end of the day its more money in the industry in a couple of years time that you wouldnt get if you felled it :001_smile: