Tax Credits!

Mick Stockbridge

Thanks for that Stevie :thumbup1:

I'm happy with my thread title but in hindsight I should have added some more to the thread itself. Like Dave D pointed out a few posts back that we had spoke about this a few months ago at work and he knows full well that I am not opposed to tax credits as such, so long as it's for the right purpose.

There are so many people on it these days that it's just accepted as the norm and carry on their lifestyles without batting an eyelid when their spending money on crap they dont need and that aint really theirs to spend.....some of it is mine.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Stevie :thumbup1:

I'm happy with my thread title but in hindsight I should have added some more to the thread itself. Like Dave D pointed out a few posts back that we had spoke about this a few months ago at work and he knows full well that I am not opposed to tax credits as such, so long as it's for the right purpose.

There are so many people on it these days that just accept it as the norm and carry on their lifestyles without batting an eyelid when their spending money on crap they dont need and that aint really theirs to spend.....some of it is mine.

Yeah, but you don't seem to want it :sneaky2:

As someone who was at university within the last 5 years, for many of us it isn't what many perceive it to be.

The 'student loan' i got varied tremendously. one year I received the first term payment, and then they decided they didnt want to give me that much, and decided they would not make the second payment because of their re-assessment of my parents means testing. after a particularly poor harvest year I received the full amount but even that barely covered rent. I worked through University for a local tree firm, in bars and venues as a sound tech all to keep my head above water while I pressed on with a course in sound recording that I grew more and more dissilusioned with, yet completed achieving a 'desmond'.

From the point I left uni and returned home, I worked with local tree firms, Worked in marine contracting, helped on the farm, all to make sure I had a bit of money to pay for all my NPTC tickets.

Now ive been working in the public sector for 2 years, i dont take for granted any training Im given, and between myself and my wife-to-be, we've saved a really good house deposit and should be moving into our first place soon.

Without the student loan, and on this new higher tuition fees setup I could not have gone to university and learnt as much about myself as the subject matter.

without the help of my parents letting me stay here for cheap rent while i got my deposit sorted, id never have been in the position now to buy my own house. Im very much aware that many people do not have this luxury!

Ever since I left uni and was in employment, I have been paying back my student loan, and shall continue to do so, and Have no doubt that it will be paid back in full.

Ive never claimed the dole or any kind of benefits

my parents got family allowance or whatever it was called and ive no doubt it contributed to the quality of my upbringing.

Im very much aware that I have been afforded many opportunities in life. Im pleased that I can help afford others the same.

The positive slant on tax is, the more you're paying, the more you're earning I guess.

Blimey, 15 pages to get to the bottom of the whole saga, almost an epic. The thing is, many of the honest decent folk that claim what is available are not fiddling the system, or abusing it. Its there to help those who do really need the money. Of course, there are those who will always try and make a fast buck, or an easy one, and they will fiddle, defraud and rob to get ahead and many of them will always seem to get away with it. When times are hard, the "cushion" is there to protect the vulnerable, whatever the reason they have become vulnerable, and thankfully we live in a country where this is possible, and long may it continue. But the fraudsters, poncers, scammers and thieves must be removed from the equation, for all our sakes.

I applaud those who stick by their guns, and their morals, and refuse to accept state help, but I also respect those who genuinely need the help, and take it rather than make their lives a misery.

I like the "could" part in the title, they have no intention of doing this, its just another (soon to be broken) promise to appease the working class.

These schemes are unworkable they end up getting run by do gooders who have not got the balls to make sure these long term unemployables go to there "work".

Nothing new here, I was a supervisor in the 80's of such a scheme, where the "incentive" to get back to work was an extra tenner on top of the dole. Most of them couldnt be bothered to turn up on time, or at all, and if they didnt, they got kicked off the scheme. In other words things went back t the way they were. Only a small percentage took advantage of the system and made things better for themselves, in fact many of those who did gain now run their own businesses.

Labour tried to do something similar to this, and made a huge balls-up, those who really needed the help genuinely were treated as scroungers, and those who cheated the system successfully....well things stayed the same.