I want to Move

patrickosborne

• 4 weeks later...

If you're all set up as well as you make out in Essex, then the ONLY thing I would consider is, as stated, leaving the business running and using rent from your house and profit from the business to fund a move and business branch-out in Cornwall. If then it doesn't work out, you're only back to a fairly good square one.

Thanks for your responses,

Another thought is that if I moved with all my kit and threw say 3 to 4 thousand at good advertising in the first year would I be able to earn say £400 per day(2 men and a chipper) ?

Doubt it. Many established firms charge way less than that. Not sure how much property is where you are. My wifes friend just bought a similar size house to ours but in Coventry. We are in Devon and our has was double the cost. What gets you work down here is reputation and contacts. With those things it will be hard work.

If you're all set up as well as you make out in Essex, then the ONLY thing I would consider is, as stated, leaving the business running and using rent from your house and profit from the business to fund a move and business branch-out in Cornwall. If then it doesn't work out, you're only back to a fairly good square one.

Thats exactly what I would recomend doing ,I would put tony AKA hamadryd in charge and let him run it for you!! as for relocating all your gear men ect waste of time ,my father had a successfull tree buisness north of london and moved up north taking all his gear with him,just sold his 252 stump grinder because he has done about 6 stumps in seven years with it !! rented out the chipper for the first 3 years and it jut got abused behond belief! now he is making money doing tree work and its growing but its taken a long time to get there... I remember staying in devon for a few months when i was 16 and never met as many people claiming to be tree surgeons!

I thought about doing the very same 4 years ago, the grass was so much greener in the highlands, i spent a lot of time there in a 2 year period and i thought it was for me, the truth of the matter was i was stressed and was running my business baddly and this was having an effect on my whole life, i was looking for an escape. I got some really good advice and changed my ways, it wasnt easy facing fears and confronting others but 4 years on and i love my job and my life where i am. :thumbup1:

I dont do as much as i used to and there are other teams working where it used to be just me, but there is enough work for everyone and i only need so much to keep me going.

Your situation might be diferent, but maybe something i have said rings a bell.

Good luck, if you just want to move, then move. If you have started 1 business you will start another, the secret to taking work of existing contractors is be cheap, simple. Most companies will have a wide range of customers, most will use them with no loyalty what so ever, so if someone else comes along they will get the job, but if you are moving for a better life, i would rely on experience and skill and find the better jobs, let the young ones fight over the big trees and you sweep up the little garden tidies and take up surfing:thumbup: