Health&performance

Yeti

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo mesterh,the way I feel tennis elbow/golfer elbow originates is usually by overuse,however I feel if you can train and develop the muscles surrounding the elbow and get them used to a higher workload then it goes a long way to help ward it off.

Muscular Balance Can also be a common cause of elbow issues,Work on your grip regularly up to twice a week,even three times if your a quick recoverer.If you have a sports store near you I'd suggest investing in some grippers,also twisting and rolling up a newspaper as tight as it will go a few times a week will also help.Also buy a broom drill thru it and place a piece of pullcord thru the hole with a knot on top,attach a five pound plate to this and roll the string up the broom with arms held out infront of you.Do anywhere from five to 15 of these and your forearms should be like popeyes.

Biceps you can do with curls,even use bags with heavy impliments in them 3-4 sets of 5-15 reps should see you well there,triceps you can do close grip pushups for.

That should strengthen the muscles a bit,as for warding off joint problems make sure you take enough healthy fats In your diet,extra virgin olive oils my fave,also taking glucosamine sulphate sure wouldt hurt.if you require any

more detail then just pop me a pm

I was gonna find this thread and ask about strengthening wrists but I think these were the exercises that suit aren't they yeti the old broom shank one and the wrist curls etc. I always hurt my wrists somehow and get tennis elbow but I work hard and train hard already must over doing it I'm naturally skinny so putting weight on has been hard for me

Yo mesterh,the way I feel tennis elbow/golfer elbow originates is usually by overuse,however I feel if you can train and develop the muscles surrounding the elbow and get them used to a higher workload then it goes a long way to help ward it off.

Muscular Balance Can also be a common cause of elbow issues,Work on your grip regularly up to twice a week,even three times if your a quick recoverer.If you have a sports store near you I'd suggest investing in some grippers,also twisting and rolling up a newspaper as tight as it will go a few times a week will also help.Also buy a broom drill thru it and place a piece of pullcord thru the hole with a knot on top,attach a five pound plate to this and roll the string up the broom with arms held out infront of you.Do anywhere from five to 15 of these and your forearms should be like popeyes.

Biceps you can do with curls,even use bags with heavy impliments in them 3-4 sets of 5-15 reps should see you well there,triceps you can do close grip pushups for.

That should strengthen the muscles a bit,as for warding off joint problems make sure you take enough healthy fats In your diet,extra virgin olive oils my fave,also taking glucosamine sulphate sure wouldt hurt.if you require any

more detail then just pop me a pm

Excellent info, thanks very much.:thumbup1:

Think Ill ge some of those grippers.:thumbup:

I'd be interested in ways to help prevent a few of the injuries that we all seem susceptible too,ie Carpal tunnel syndrome and tennis, golfers elbow.

I had a bit of a lump on my wrist which I think was a ganglion, whacked it with a stick and it looks like its going now.:thumbup:

I remember my mate cutting ligament in his hand with a silky and needing it operated on and as he had carpinal tunnel syndrome in the other they operated on both at the same time his lass wasn't happy having to give him swipe after the toilet haha

Hi guys, good advice yeti, love the old broom handle exercise - if you can't be bothered to make one then you can buy one for around £12 off ebay / amazon. Not sure i'd bother with grippers as unless you can find some that are adjustable you'll adapt too quickly - the old rope is great though - have one myself!

Also - you've got to remember to work the opposing muscle groups as well. The grip is strengthened by all the exercises mentioned but another common problem with climbers is they actually over develop these muscles - i've seen guys that climb with hands that look like claws - permanently like they are holding something!! The best thing to do is get something like the hand-master pro as it not only works the grip (by squeezing the ball) but also works what are known as the finger extensors which helps to keep everything balanced - they come in three different strengths and are not that expensive - worth investing in if you ask me. An even cheaper way to work these muscles is by simply getting some thick elastic bands - putting them around your closed fingers and then simply opening and closing your hand - mind your face though - a thick one in the eye stings a bit :biggrin:

Cheers - hope that helps - happy to help if i can...

Would you advise strapping your wrists up yeti or would that make them weaker relying on the straps? I did knack my wrists up falling off motorbikes as a youngen so don't think this helped

if I'm nursing an injury I'll strap up.other than that I'll go unstrapped overtime your body will grow and adapt.I started with 7 inch wrists and over the years they have grown to just shade over ten.wrist curls will help beef your wrists up.Always when pressing keep elbow and wrists inline don't let wrists flop over.if that means lightening the weight for pressing moves for a while then don't panic bud.You will find if you keep your wrists straight you will generate more power thru the bar so will in the end make your pressing more efficent

My hands are bit claw like spencer So thanks for the advice there bud.