firewood prices !

33bk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was talking to a lad that does firewood £65.00 apickup load. He was asked if he had any seconds or mishaped, logs,and would they be cheaper!

Some of the stuff I seem to end up with is knotty 'knuckles', twisted stems, branch junctions & even roots! All of it can be a real pain to split so it often gets left on site. If you are buying to wood process into firewood logs then it should not contain too much gruff stuff. Once it is processed into firewood it should comand the same price I would have thought?

I have 3 grades of log with a £10 difference per cubic metre in price for each grade so if they want cheap they can have it

Probably should have been more specific. I sell split logs which is a mixture of hard and softwood from tree surgery. also joiners logs which is softwood PAR timber cut into 9 inch lengths then the offcuts of this processing I sell as joiners noggins. So they can have cheap noggins delivered for £70 a cubic mtr upto split logs delivered at £90 a cubic mtr. I know which I would prefer.

Are we calling a cube a builders bag here? I sell a builders bag for £75 and will stack it as long as access is half resonable for that price.

Full truck load generally slightly heaped, for £150. I met my 'almost' ha girlfriends boss last week picking some stuff up from his big house and seeing the signs on the van asked if i had logs I told him yes, £80 a load (transit tipper, approx 3x2m) and he was shocked, and told me he usually gets his logs from a guy with a 'Big Unimog' and he does him a whole load from the back of that for £80! He didn;t specify how big the bed on the mog was but i guess its gotta be at least the size of mine or probably alot bigger. I mentioned mine were 'seasoned' and split but this didn't seem to make alot of difference. I dunno how someone can bring themselves to sell such a large volume of logs so cheap, especially if they are processed to the same standards as mine, its rediculously cheap, and he's running a mog!

Are we calling a cube a builders bag here? I sell a builders bag for £75 and will stack it as long as access is half resonable for that price.

Full truck load generally slightly heaped, for £150. I met my 'almost' ha girlfriends boss last week picking some stuff up from his big house and seeing the signs on the van asked if i had logs I told him yes, £80 a load (transit tipper, approx 3x2m) and he was shocked, and told me he usually gets his logs from a guy with a 'Big Unimog' and he does him a whole load from the back of that for £80! He didn;t specify how big the bed on the mog was but i guess its gotta be at least the size of mine or probably alot bigger. I mentioned mine were 'seasoned' and split but this didn't seem to make alot of difference. I dunno how someone can bring themselves to sell such a large volume of logs so cheap, especially if they are processed to the same standards as mine, its rediculously cheap, and he's running a mog!

I`ve said it so many times on here but I will say it again .. If your not getting around £100 a cube its not worth doing considering all the hard work and outlay.... people seem to think that logs grow on trees

When I hear about huge loads of logs cheap I get the phone no. They are normally called old fred or similar. Ring them up and save them fuel by buying all they have. 9 times out of ten they dont excist and the customer is trying to haggle or you find the logs are rubbish or more expensive.

a cube is 1000x1000x1000 a builders bag 800x800x800 is 0.56 of a cube or just over half a cube . You need to measure your bags 200mm make a huge difference.

its convenients for people and the fact that people are not educated in burning timber, for me i was brought up with a fire but for people now and this modern ''craze'' of log burners that has took off in the last few years its kind of like the evolution of man they start off buying hella expensive log from a garden center or diy place ,we all know the ones. then they find us and all is well and good , then they think can i get it any cheaper so they have some off of the local scrap man come tarmac expert come tree cutter fella, then they come back to you saying "had some from somebody else but it was wet"!! some where in the middle of that they become an expert lumber jack by cutting there neighbourghs tree down ,for the logs!!!!!!

People definately want convenience - stove sales are going through the roof and more of the new purchasers are your "Marks and Spencers" type customers who are used to the retail experience:you want something, you go to the shop, pick it up, pay for it and take it home. You certainly don't want it dumped in a dirty great heap on your drive and left for you to sort out. They've spent a lot of money at the stove shop who have told them they need to burn hardwood at under 20% moisture content so that is what they will go out to get in the first instance. They will then explore their usual retail haunts for logs - garden centres, the DIY barns, etc - because this is where they are used to shopping and getting what they need. Hence B&Q are shifting pallets of plastic bags of logs at £7.48 a go - its clean, its convenient and its from somewhere customers know and trust.

We all know that a builders bag isn't a cube but customer slike to think so, and i'm not about to change that. I've tryed educating a few times and then they wanted to go and buy someone elses magic builders bag that is a cube or "half a ton" or whatever **** they have been fed, so i now just go along with it as long as they're happy.

We all know that a builders bag isn't a cube but customer slike to think so, and i'm not about to change that. I've tryed educating a few times and then they wanted to go and buy someone elses magic builders bag that is a cube or "half a ton" or whatever **** they have been fed, so i now just go along with it as long as they're happy.

So should I start calling my Barrow bags Cubic Barrow bags :sneaky2: