what causes cramps when climbing

Breezeblock

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangely enough, someone told me a few months back that tea actually dehydrates you. There was a fancy name for it I cant remember but basically it makes you pee and you lose vital fluid.

I get cramp regularly when i climb and the only way to help prevent it is LOADS of fluids durin the day. If you are climbing start banging the water in before and during the climb. Not as an after thought.

I just take 4 liters of cordial every day with me, seems to help. Failing that, Crampex on a night.

This finding suggests that tea does not have a diuretic effect unless the amount of tea consumed at one sitting contains more than 250–300 mg of caffeine, equivalent to between 5 and 6 cups of tea.

Just pulled this off wiki so don't know how true it is

and more on coffee!

Initially it was said that caffeine had no significant impact on final urine output. Subsequent studies have also shown that diuretic effects of caffeine are dubious in nature, as caffeine containing beverages did not impact urinary output any differently when compared to other beverages. However, this does not mean that caffeine does not increase your need to urinate, as it is a mild diuretic. Coffee consumption levels is what will dictate your reaction and your tolerance level. Thus, the eventual effect of caffeine and coffee will vary person to person and you will need to monitor your reaction and tolerance to caffeine to determine how you are affected by it. Water was, is and always will be the recommended choice for optimal hydration, so be sure to include it as part of your daily fluid consumption.

Don't forget to take in the salts as well as the liquids. If you work hard and sweat a lot replenishing the fluids should be obvious but you also lose a lot of salt which needs to be replaced. I usually go for the isotonic drinks or something that have mineral salts in them to replace what I sweat out. I haven't suffered from cramps yet but a friend of mine had them quite badly from only drinking water through the day and having hardly any salt in his food. I believe he started adding sachet salt replacement stuff to his water and doesn't get the cramps anymore.

why do i sometimes get cramps when i am climbing it can be a right pain in the **** and can be quite dangerous especially when you are a saw am i just getting old? somebody told me it was a lack of salt in my diet but i am scottish so my unhealthy diet of chips and diet irn-bru should have plenty:confused1:

Try stretching the legs, arms and body just for a couple of minutes before you go up, and avoid alcohol for two or three days before climbing.