Large Oak removal

RC0

stick to your ethics if you can i think, good on you! but times are not looking great right now......

Saying that, the landlady of my yard was trying to get me to do a 30% reduction of a nice yew out the back of one of their properties, (which i can see from the lockup) for light reasons. I talked them into a very minor reduction (just the shooters really) and a 30% thin, it now looks really nice but they want more of a reduction. I've held out so far but may have to give in with it being more than just the money....:thumbdown:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbdown:

Very unprofessional!! IMV :thumbdown:

Is it though? As an arborist, you are a tree service professional. If you have a legitimate concern regarding the removal of a tree, then what else can you do? You don't have any actual legal power, so it makes sense to contact the person that does. Just my two cents.

I dont work for the council, if they havent done their job properly then not my problem.

My job is doing what the client wants, and getting paid for it.

By your logic, the defense lawyer in a criminal trial would stand up to make his opening statement and inform the court that he couldnt represent his client as he believed him to be guilty.

Why is it tree people have this bizarre definition of professionalism? No wonder the rest of the world cant take us seriously.

Do we really a situation where people use cowboys out of fear that a professional may tip off the TO????

As soon as a customer rings me and asks for a quote I feel I have entered into a contract of sort where they are giving me confidential information that will allow me to quote. IMO it is very wrong to then use that information against the client, whether my quote is successful or not.

True Dave, but when ringing for the quote, this Lady asked for advice. I gave that to her and it wasnt what she wanted to hear. She wanted her trees butchered, and thats what she got but i wasnt willing to do it for her.

I did not agree with the works she "will have done", and therefore did all i could to prevent it happening. At the time she did not want to loose them as "she really liked trees" only to have them removed when she didnt like the results of the pruning.

The trees in this case were both healthy, with no real defects and the reason for reducing them was the gardener is getting old and there are too many leaves for him.

Not enough of a reason IMO, and i would happily do the same again.

The trees in this case were both healthy, with no real defects and the reason for reducing them was the gardener is getting old and there are too many leaves for him.

Not enough of a reason IMO, and i would happily do the same again.

So why were you happy to fell them :confused1:

No excuse and still very unprofessional, IMO.

Was once asked to cut back to boundary two Copper Beech that where in the customers neighbours garden, the neighbour had had both trees reduced at the request of my customer.

I politely told her that I felt her neigbour had been reasonable and I felt a good job had been done and that I was not prepared to spoil the trees.

I could have informed the neigbour of what their neighbour was intending or tried to get them TPO'd, but I could only do that by using information I was given in confidence.

Happily the customer must have thought about what I said and the trees were not cut :001_smile:

If they had been TPO'd at your request, you may have got a reputation for being in the TO's pocket or sour grapes or both.

By your logic, the defense lawyer in a criminal trial would stand up to make his opening statement and inform the court that he couldnt represent his client as he believed him to be guilty.

Why is it tree people have this bizarre definition of professionalism? No wonder the rest of the world cant take us seriously.

Is it because we associate ourselves with doctors in many ways, in this country a doctor must protect life even against the individuals wishes, euthanasia is not allowed...yet. I do think we in the industry are of the same mind set, and as were not 100% driven by money we cant be taken seriously? so be it... wish we were paid like doctors though!(or solicitors) :sneaky2:

So why were you happy to fell them :confused1:

No excuse and still very unprofessional, IMO.

If they had been TPO'd at your request, you may have got a reputation for being in the TO's pocket or sour grapes or both.

Dave, i never said i would be happy to fell them:confused1:

In fact that was the whole point of doing what i did! It was to preserve the trees.

As a result of what happened, as i told her, the trees were lost. That is the shame behind it.