Large Oak removal

RC0

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

I do lots of different types of work, whatever is required. Large or small, pruning and removal. Same as the next man.

The big logs made it to the mill, the small stuff went to the local firewood suppliers.

Yes I did get some video (above and below), although haven't had time to look at any yet so Stevie I dont know exactly what is on there for the moment.

Marc, with the vetical cuts, yes its straight through....the hook and sling position is what makes it work, or not. The limbs can be different so you do have to be prepared to pull out the saw fast and cut from a different direction from time to time. You just have to watch closely, concentrate and make your adjustments....whether that be sawing or with the jib, whatever is needed. One things for sure, non of it ever happens automatically, everything must be thought through. 4 ton in that short piece at the end, I had to cut the slings in to be certain.

If the client has made up their mind to take a tree down, there is little that can be done, even if it is unjustified. You might as well be the one to do it professionally and sympathetically so best use is made of the timber.

Nice work as always Reg!

Isn't the reason for tpo's so that trees like this are preserved?

Thanks all,

Nice work as always Reg!

Isn't the reason for tpo's so that trees like this are preserved?

I agree, but thats down to the LA, and unlikely that a single tree hidden from public view would pass the criteria for a TPO, right or wrong.

Fair enough, I was just chucking it out there really. Personally i would have jumped at that job... decisions like this, i think are ones which we have to make, and are brought about by the world we live in. was just wondering on peoples thoughts.

Twas definitely a shame and looking forward to any video!

I agree, but thats down to the LA, and unlikely that a single tree hidden from public view would pass the criteria for a TPO, right or wrong.

I guess what the customer wants and all that, but this removal reminds me of a job i looked at years back.

I was asked to top, and mutilate a pair of weeping ash trees at either side of a very large farm house. Quite a spectacular property. The client wanted a 50% height reduction and removal of several scafold limbs.

After advising, and discussing at great lengths the disadvantages doing this I ended up saying I wouldnt do it or give a price. The client responded with many insults such as "I thought you were a tree surgeon" and "I know a bloke much more qualified than you said it was ok" and "They are my trees and if i say i want that i will have it"

After leaving, I rang the TO to see if this mutilation could be prevented but as the frontage could only be seen from the estate, and not any public access point they wouldnt protect the trees.

The work went ahead anyway, and six months later the trees were removed completely as the client was not happy with the appearance after pruning.

Perhaps I should have done the pruning, then got the removal also, or were my ethics more important I wonder.