Drawing Software- An alternative to CAD

monkeypuzzle22

Google Sketchup is free and will do a lot.

ditto that my neighbour has drawn all his plaans for his extension and got them passed with SKETCHUP

Its all good and well using a drawing package for small scale TPO Aps etc and if your good you can get cad drawings sent to you in PDF, (by the client), then you can open the pdf. in Photoshop and add your tree points.

This method could be inaccurate if working on a small site. Errors in the tree positions wrong could cause confusion and get on the wrong side if planning. It will also win you a bad Rep.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Its all good and well using a drawing package for small scale TPO Aps etc and if your good you can get cad drawings sent to you in PDF, (by the client), then you can open the pdf. in Photoshop and add your tree points.

This method could be inaccurate if working on a small site. Errors in the tree positions wrong could cause confusion and get on the wrong side if planning. It will also win you a bad Rep.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Just write a big "DO NOT SCALE FROM THIS DRAWING" on anything you produce.

There is a freebie out there at the mo called AutoCAD WS Autodesk - AutoCAD WS . It is basically AutoCAD as a web service. It doesn't have the full AutoCAD functionality - but it does offer a lot for adding to exisitng drawings etc and sharing those details.

I have had a play with it and like what it does but it may not do everything you need.

I also had a look at ZWCAD when I was at the Arb Assoc conf and this did seem pretty comprehensive and relatively inexpensive. However, I haven't spoken to a user and, of course, the comments from a user often gives a much better insight than those of a salesperson:001_tt2:

I have also heard very positive comments about BricsCAD but again cannot comment from personal experience.

It can be dificult to strike the balance between CAD and Graphics. Is your intention to producte accurate scale plans or a very pretty picture? If you are using AutoCAD - the addition of M-Color technology really brings the graphics presentation side into the CAD environment with so much style and flair it is hard to beleieve it is an AutoCAD drawing - but AutoCAD is expensive....

Would you like your clients to be able to annotate or markup your scale plans ? Or do you simply want to produce & publish them? Can you "collaborate" as they call it with the software?

Sorry if this is throwing a spanner in the works....:blushing:

• 2 years later...