threading the needle

dadio

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pretty boring, and 99% of the time I use a gob and a back cut to fell things. If it needs a hand I use wedges or a pull line, or both. I only bore really heavy leaners generally.

I love seeing new techniques, though, and am keen to try them out.

Did this today on a small Willow with a back lean. 12" dia, 20 ' grown out pollard. Pull line installed, lightly tensioned off truck hitch. Gob, bore then instead of dog-tooth release, cut 6 inches below bore cut until overlap. Give it some with the truck - nothing! Could not bust that big step cut! (Only a Tranny on gravel, mind). Reverted to a tradional release cut with Big Stevo on the rope and over she came! Not doing something right, clearly. Glad it wasn't a big Oak leaning over a conservatory, but I would have been a bit of a fool to try a new technique in that situation, wouldn't I?

Keep them coming Daniel, Mark Bolam is loving the crazy comments on both sides that your vids are causing.

Felling at 12'? Why not? Only problem I have with it is that my wife complains about washing my brown pants.

there are plenty more videos and pictures on this site doing work far more complex than this video, which no-one needlesly picks appart or says it shouldnt be posted because some newbie might think its the only way to do things

For your information Mewp incidents 2010 MEWP Incidents 2010

Not all stories related to felling massive sections out of a bucket admittedly, but I found the story of the boom snapping in half probably realistic and proportionate if you were brave enough to hang a whole tree on the end of a boom.

I think most people on here would have experienced a tree, stem, or bough snapping early especially when a pre-tension line is attached, (or two!).

Incidents for 07,08,09, are online too.

JOsh and I see things very much the same way...

MUCH SAFER to get the tree on the ground in one cut, rather than put a crew through hours of rigging and bombing, fatigue, frustration, and much more exposure in the drop zone, or some piece coming back at the operator etc..

The only requirement is that the cutter know what he is doing in a way to make 100% certain that both he and the gropund crew are safe during the fall. There is just soooo much complex calculations involving weight and lean of tree, type of wood, condition of tree, communication with and source of pulling power, special cutting techniques, width and depth of notch, stump shot (height of back cut) etc etc etc... It would be nearly impossible to set up a test that could determine if someone is qualified to make a cut like that... SO barring any way to know who is and isn't qualified to make those types of cuts, it seems you've got limited options on the island...

Land of the free, means I AM free to do it my way. Keeping cuts to 30Kg from a bucket would take all the fun out of the work for me.. Is thart really a safe working load that you are restricted to work within????? What's the point... be faster to climba nd rig a lot of trees.. save the mewp for pruning..

JOsh and I see things very much the same way...

MUCH SAFER to get the tree on the ground in one cut, rather than put a crew through hours of rigging and bombing, fatigue, frustration, and much more exposure in the drop zone, or some piece coming back at the operator etc..

The only requirement is that the cutter know what he is doing in a way to make 100% certain that both he and the gropund crew are safe during the fall. There is just soooo much complex calculations involving weight and lean of tree, type of wood, condition of tree, communication with and source of pulling power, special cutting techniques, width and depth of notch, stump shot (height of back cut) etc etc etc... It would be nearly impossible to set up a test that could determine if someone is qualified to make a cut like that... SO barring any way to know who is and isn't qualified to make those types of cuts, it seems you've got limited options on the island...

Land of the free, means I AM free to do it my way. Keeping cuts to 30Kg from a bucket would take all the fun out of the work for me.. Is thart really a safe working load that you are restricted to work within????? What's the point... be faster to climba nd rig a lot of trees.. save the mewp for pruning..

Thanks for coming back to me, now you just know I am going to disagree: firstly, I understand the reason the tree was felled at 12ft. was because your client requested this, You should have politely pointed out it's more efficient, and safer to fell to ground level. (if room) Secondly:You mention the complex calculations regarding weight, lean, type of wood, method etc. well at least we partly agree here, we call these forces, discovered over here by a nice chap called Newton. Quite by chance, a tree was involved when he was calculating just one of those forces involved. As you know there are many forces here. You help my arguement by explaining it would be nearly impossible to set up a test: well I agree, and in other words you are in uncharted waters, regarding what was certain to happen. You mentioned the SWL 200kg well, that's for a typical machine for this job one man in the bucket plus tools, it varies depending on the machine.

Quicker to piece down by rigging, than by a mewp, no way.... a big tree like that with not much below, a good guy would have it ready to fell in 2-3 hours. How long to rig it?

Land of the free, well that's another thread entirely and probably too political for this forum, but give me the UK every time over any other Country. That does not make me anti- US, just I am quite happy here.

It's nothing personal, I've seen worse done, and had many a scrape myself, keep posting the video's don't let me put you off.

Edited by lendahand
mistake

I say "land of the free" in part with tongue in cheek..

Yes as Americans we enjoy a lot of internal freedoms that others do not have, yet more and more the freedom we cherish are becoming an illusion.... free elections... are free to the highest bidder, which has been codifies by a supreme court whose chief justice was put in place by a president that stole both elections... The paperless ballots in many states would not qualify for the basic minimal requirements of international election monitoring organizations..

Racism, calssism, poisined food, bankers, wall street, insurance companies etc.. robbing the working man blind.. terrible system of health care, man made diseases etc..

SO yes I enjoy the personal freedoms of America, but they do have any bearing on its foreign policy, which I despise... most Americans have been brainwashed as children to believe that the US governement is some benevolent force of freedom, justice and liberty.. as opposed to the an evil bully using its muscle to exploit the rest of the world's resources..

AND THEY GET VERY UPSET IF YOU TRY TO TELL THEM THE TRUTH

so keep it quiet eh.. thanks :)

Thanks for coming back to me, now you just know I am going to disagree: firstly, I understand the reason the tree was felled at 12ft. was because your client requested this, You should have politely pointed out it's more efficient, and safer to fell to ground level. (if room) .

thats not what the client wanted though was it?

Quicker to piece down by rigging, than by a mewp, no way.... a big tree like that with not much below, a good guy would have it ready to fell in 2-3 hours. How long to rig it?.

depends how big a piece's you are rigging, cutting and chucking, and free falling a decent climber would nail that:biggrin:

ready to fell???? :001_rolleyes:

Land of the free, well that's another thread entirely and probably too political for this forum, but give me the UK every time over any other Country.

have you lived and worked in multiple countrys to gain a balanced view?

Take a look at these two videos..

This is three large tulip trees with over 90% of the cuts lowered, and maybe 10% bombed..

If you had to cut and chuck that much wood in 30 Kg pieces by hand from a bucket, I doubt you could get it done in a day.. even if you had a bucket tall enough to get to the entire tree.

Keep in mind someone has to clean up all those small bits and moving the bucket around etc..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpwDNQwKzFo]YouTube - Efficiency in Tree Removal pt.1 Daniel Murphy 3 Tulip Removals[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by dadio