heritage or not?

David oakman

come on people lets talk trees. ? what our your veiws on longevity i think trees in parkland situ like mine should live forever. clause talks about c stems i have got half that again e.g a huge maple with a nice small crown and every year the first tree to flush,oak trees totaly hollow standing only on buttresses. i know roadside trees are a problem but take a look at the age of the london planes at westminster wow because they are recut on a regular basis. keep the trees safe and alive and we will always have work. if you ever get the chance go to windsor with ted green you will see oak and beech you will not beleive but full of life such as a beech tree which hollowed out to a c stem now it is healing itself with reactive wood.wow i love trees

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think parkland trees should be offered a degree more of protection and care particularly the ones that are getting to 100+ years old. Management is surely better than cutting the thing flush to the floor. I know that there are public liability issues with parkland like happened with the national trust and Dunham Massey, I think it was, when a tree fell and killed someone.

In an age where you can assess the degree of rot etc to a trunk through computer gadgetry why can't these trees be "managed" though appropriate techniques rather than chopping them down. My local woodland has some seriously old Beech trees 5-6ft + diameter at the base these occasionally shed a limb or two but had you done a systematic check of at risk trees you'd spot the ones which are likely to shed a limb. Theres bits of that woodland that I wouldn't go in if we have gales.

You also have to take into account the wildlife etc that a mature tree supports. Its compensation culture though that well see the end of mature trees.

thanks mr ed.i have just read an article in essentialarb and steve cox of the aa said focus should be in planting not preserving. i agree with the planting one year i planted 10000 trees and shrubs, but you must preserve yesterday i was talking to a couple of visitors who only came for the trees and i told them how do you replace a 800 year old oak? what is scary is how much the public knows about trees they asked me if i had got the presesionary moth sorry for spelling. and also some know their fungi:001_cool:

thanks detritus 21 you may not want to walk here then avenue planted in 1600 oak trees with 6 critical types of fungi. but all trees are checked weekly by me and managed dead wood clearance and weight reduction when tyre bulges are seen. today i just spotted fruiting bodie of inonotus dryadeus and chicken of the woods.:001_cool:

thanks detritus 21 you may not want to walk here then avenue planted in 1600 oak trees with 6 critical types of fungi. but all trees are checked weekly by me and managed dead wood clearance and weight reduction when tyre bulges are seen. today i just spotted fruiting bodie of inonotus dryadeus and chicken of the woods.:001_cool:

I would walk there as its managed. My local woodland isn't managed I've been in with the saw a few times to clear fallen limbs as the LA don't bother even if you phone them and tell them

i got an ash thats maybe 200-400 hard to age but its an old pollard,last reduced 10 15 years ago probably 50 after its managment lapse and has massive strees cracks and will probably brake up if not re reduced (we have recomened 30% also every fungus concevable is thriving on this hulk, amazing tree full of charactor.

close to this tree a few years ago i dropped over 10 massive oaks 3 wich where double the 42" bar of an 88 that went for round timber some i counted 220...all brown oak as well so i guess to valuable to leave as habitat! ...bloody farmers ploughing as close as possible on what should of been pasture land in the first place has lost many trees like this!

the only real old ones to survive in a fields close by where old pollards.

i love old ash but i have not got many as they only burn ash in the big house. dont get me started on famers you tell them to keep away double the crown spread so you are clear of roots and they say will i pay for loss of crops. and they spray my new hedges with pestiside and they die mingers.:001_cool:

come on people lets talk trees. ? U must be psychic ,I've just looked at a job ,a big big Sweet Chestnut that has been ring barked by horses over a number of years there's only 1 place where the bark is still joined by only a few inches .The tree is almost dead all over apart from a couple of limbs low down with leaves on,(it's in parkland no danger to anyone). The land owner reckons it was planted the same time as the original house in 1605 !. He doesn't want to fell it yet ,(last chance) and wants it dead-wooding. It's not going to be pretty to look at but it will be still standing,

i'll sort pics out after it's done .