The frog Walker SRT

Laz

Evening All.

Often times, I am asked what SRT is and how to do it. There are many answers, not all of them very safe, practicable or ergonomic.

I find this technique the best allrounder; I consider it safe and bio-mechanically efficient, with important provisos.

I post this as an example of a very good way to access trees, as I can find little info or videos of the correct technique.

It is a 'FrogWalker' system:

[ame]

[/ame]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Laz. Is that a pair of Kongs???

This is the system:

- Edelrid powerstatic 11mm dry lifeline (hi vis orange - I always advocate an 11mm true Kernmantel, to EN1891 Type A for knotted strength an sufficient energy absorption). Anchored with 2 trunk wraps, split tail, and two lcokers (for continuous knotted loop emergency descent).

- Petzl Ascension - left hand (doesn't clash with Croll), clipped through top holes (important to retain rope and prevent cam slippage) with Oval locker to a,

- Petzl spelegyca - attached to Oval /HMS krab (built in enrgy absorption) that holds the,

- Petzl Croll - attached to harness with a,

- Petzl Torse - Bi-colour to easily avoid twists when donning over shoulder. Lots of adjustment for increased length and easy on the move adjustments. Quick release enables entire system to be released at the back.

- Adjustable footloop (change of length required for RAD system) to quicklink on Ascension for left foot.

- Petzl Pantin to right foot.

- Small clip to retain rope to right leg (prevent rope pulling out of croll).

- Petzl Grigri for descent (attached to krab with thin cord so as not to drop during changeover - can be left attached to sliding D, ready to go).

- Petzl strings to lock krabs in alignment.

- TreeFlex harness.

nice laz...i need to talk to you actually about a new srt technique im working on.

Hi Steve - I like how the youtube link shows in the post - nice!

I'm all ears about your technique - drop me a line to discuss it if you like.

Could you show a complete kit photo???

I only asked about the ascender as I've tried one hand models such as the petzl but found it tough to get both hands in it...

Doesn't the spelegyca have two "legs" what do you do with the other one???

Only one hand in the handle - the other hand grips the specially shaped top part of the device.

The other leg of the Spelegyca remains free for energy absorption, OR to clip a knot as back up when removing the ascender to pass that knot.

The instructions have important information and diagrams for the full system (including rope suitability):

C26%20TORSE%20FR7726%20061098_1.pdf

B02%20PANTIN%20B02500.pdf

B16_%20CROLL_%20B16500-03.pdf

C44%20SPELEGYCA%20FR7244-G.pdf

B17%20ASCENSION%20B17502-F1.pdf

Man, I'd love to be able to have a go at SRT climbing. Looks pretty effortless, or is that just the easy part? What's working in the crown and coming back down like?

It takes some practice and fine tuning to get the correct smooth technique, if you want safe bio-mechanical efficiency and speed (which is the main point for me).

I use this as access, then change over to DdRT for work positioning mostly. I slide the ascenders down the access line to pull up if I need a long re-ascent. The foot ascender stays on for re-ascending on DdRT short distances.

It can be used for working the crown, if backed up with a secondary system. But there are important safety considerations.

Changeover to descent is easy, ALWAYS being attached twice, until a hands free descender is attached.