The frog Walker SRT

Laz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laz, remember this vid from treebuzz? dont know who it was and if its the same equipment being used, but looks similar to the frog. Any thoughts?

Yes, I remember it. It isn't the same system.

Look at the two vids and forget about equipment, look at the technique and energy involved with different muscle groups.

isnt this system a modified caving system using cows tails etc?

Yes. Cavers use SRT of various methods more than any other user group.

This is a good sign, as caving in the UK is very hard on equipment. Much more abrasive than treework.

Is it possible to incorporate your DdRt system onto the top ascender?

Laz, would'nt mind popping over sometime to see this system. You still in Porthmadog?

Yes, it is possible to run DdRT off of the top ascender. But I would never recommend it, or practice it.

I'm still in North Wales. Probably better to pop over at the trade fair where the system will be set up.

How do you find the Grigri for descending? I use one and I find it very good on a dry rope but as soon as the rope gets wet it doesn't seem to let you descend as smoothly as you'd like. I use the grigri as an ascendor/positioner to some extent as well hence like it. I think if I were going to use something for just descending I'd be looking at something like a petzl stop as these are better designed for descending particularly in SRT. With the stop you don't have to unclip it from your harness either and risk dropping the thing where as the grigri if you are switching it on and off the rope there is a chance you can drop it which trust me isn't fun.

Just a thought

The grigri and Unicender are rough in the wet. It rains alot here.

The stop isn't a hands free device - it has to be locked off. Should be called a 'Go'. But it is a good descender, especially for long descents.

Not so important points for access, as the climber can be lowered from the ground.

The Eddy is a much better tool that can be used and slacked off completely with one hand, functioning like a friction hitch. Auto locking too. I haven't tried it in the wet yet.

Yes. Cavers use SRT of various methods more than any other user group.

This is a good sign, as caving in the UK is very hard on equipment. Much more abrasive than treework.

:dito: Caving is very hard on gear! Having to squeeze through cheese presses with water flooding down your top can be a bit grim :scared1:

not sure how the cycling motion with the legs work?

:dito: Caving is very hard on gear! Having to squeeze through cheese presses with water flooding down your top can be a bit grim :scared1:

not sure how the cycling motion with the legs work?

I read somewhere that the word 'Hell' is a derivative of 'Hellas' - an ancient term for 'mine'.

That struck a true chord for me - cave/mine/HELL!

I'll stick to rocks and Trees!

i,m always panting when ive used it what a good name for a product

Its french for 'Puppet' - which is a great descriptive name, as thats what the climber looks like with arms and legs cycling through the air!