Felling using axes - big no no or not?

Arbgirl

Hi chaps

I have been asked to help rewrite a publication on tree stuff which at present contains instructions on how to fell trees with axes

I am of the opinion that axe felling is not a safe way to fell a tree (less control etc) but would like to hear your opinions

I certainly dont allow the use of axes to fell stuff at work and would smite anybody who tried - what do you think?

Many thanks in advance

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that its a shame when people dismiss a tool that has worked just fine since the dawn of time. It reflexs our technology infected society, and our health and safety culture. I personnaly use an axe at home as much as I use a billhook, and as much or maybe more than I use a chainsaw. For felling a tree of small dia (6" or less) I would take a bow saw and axe to the job with pleasure. Its different when your commercial felling, but when you are well trained and have the time its perfectly acceptable.

Why are we all using chainsaws? Why not buy a tiny harvestor? You get much more control...

I echo joshes comments too, traditions like that should not be lost.

Sam :)

I can see the desire to prevent the loss of old skills - I need to focus on safe working techniques and the publication is aimed at everyone from the completely inexperienced to the more experienced - so it has to be safety first

I have heard some of the pros - what about the cons?:001_smile:

Anyone know of any H&S guidance that I can look at as I cant find anything when I google and I assumed the HSE would have said something about it if it caused accidents

Maybe there arent any? But then how many people fell trees with axes? Would you recommend an inexperienced worker use an axe to fell?

Do you think I could just state that using axes is for those experienced in felling or small trees?

Less than 20 years ago I employed a chap who coppiced Sweet Chestnut with an axe, both felling and snedding. He worked in all weathers in only a pair of shorts, I never knew him cut himself! When it came to cutting wood to length he was proud to boast that he could `toe and heel a 3ft bow saw`!

It`s a real shame these skills are getting lost along with the more pleasant experience of working in the wood without the constant sound of machinery!

when i did a diploma in horticulture in 2002, we where shown and did a practical for felling small trees with axes. its a basic skill that shouldnt be lost. it only becomes a dangerous thing to do if the information is not out there to learn...

they wont stop selling axes, so a person could go and buy an axe without being able to get hold of the information on how to use it and then go and attack a tree, thats dangerous!!

i think the basics of using one to fell a tree should be kept in your book.