Health and Safety effecting future of arb.

Baxter

Hi guys

Im doing an assignment for uni on the future of arb. I was wondering how people think health and safety is effecting arb buisnesses and how it may develop in the near future.

Are we soon going to be spending more time worrying about tripping hazards than the actual job? How bad can it get?

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatful!

Thanks

Baxter

Well its safe to say PPE has done more for arb/forestry safety.

BUT

Training courses aimed at the lowest common denominator passing them rather than aiming to fail 70% of all applicants at a practical level has lead to arb getting lots of people who 20+ years ago would have been dismissed the first day they started work threw being dangerous/unsafe or just for lying about there level of competence.

Therefore I would say arb is now more dangerous than it was when PPE first became mandatory simply because of the amount of unsuitable people who are able to attain qualification which is aimed at merely satisfying H&S rather than weeding out the unsuitable to start with.

I am a champion of Health and safty, and an exponant of its aplication.

I find that i cannot agree with some of the above sentements, but all i would say is the over zelose aplication of HSE and the inability of some parties to recognise individual levels of risk assessment are a threat to any industry, not just arb.

one should never stop challenging why, with ref to HSE and accept at least one answer will be 'as it is the law'

the moor telling answers are the others you will get when you keep asking why.

just a thought

kev

BUT

Training courses aimed at the lowest common denominator passing them rather than aiming to fail 70% of all applicants at a practical level has lead to arb getting lots of people who 20+ years ago would have been dismissed the first day they started work threw being dangerous/unsafe or just for lying about there level of competence.

Therefore I would say arb is now more dangerous than it was when PPE first became mandatory simply because of the amount of unsuitable people who are able to attain qualification which is aimed at merely satisfying H&S rather than weeding out the unsuitable to start with.

Ringing bells here in the volunteer sector. Even the use of P.P.E. is not properly enforced.:thumbdown:

BUT

Well said, typically a guy or gal straight from a pass on level 3 arb with lots of tickets cannot even sharpen a saw or fill it up to my satisfaction. More worryingly cannot tell you what, or how to prevent kickback. There is too much tea drinking and chat on these dummy courses.

OK training in general I'm practical based medical engineer, BUT the last batch of 'degree' applicants not one could put a plug on a mains lead. I have noticed simular with other training.

I was shocked years ago by the amount of 'site accidents' addmissions, so since my son was 5 yrs old helping me at home or on the woods I trained him in 'safe working practice' it all worked well it also extended into his driving. I can't see how 16 yr old lads with not a clue on safety coming into a high risk trade can be instantly trained up into safe operatives.

But I have noticed over the years that some people are always more at risk than others.

I'm generaly in favour of training and legislation, But I do feel that no allowance is made for common sense. This negates charles darwins 'natural selection' so when the brainless ofe forgets to harness into the tree or cuts their leg off it's the poor employer that has to bend over and take it if they happen to forget to do a risk assessment.