Any1 Tried The Anchor Bridge ???????

Ross Smith

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...need a long splice so you can get up close, as you'll see in the pic.. a short splice would not be good, nor would the loading on it be good...

I presume though that as the system is adjustable, there will always be a point at which you adjust it where you will load the splice from the side???

Intuitively loading a splice from the side is bad, what with uneven tensions but is there any proof a splice fails at lower strains when in that configuration???

I presume though that as the system is adjustable, there will always be a point at which you adjust it where you will load the splice from the side???

Intuitively loading a splice from the side is bad, what with uneven tensions but is there any proof a splice fails at lower strains when in that configuration???

Had a go at this at the Capel manor show. seemed a good idea to be able to lengthen the distance between vt and harness. I did find when set close to body/ harness the splice was within the o ring on the harness. did wonder at the time if this would compromise the strength of the splice for the future so would be interested to know of any accumulative effect of loading in such a way?

• 3 weeks later...

You know I have been climbing for years, started on three strand :) , and could never be doing with gimmicks and loads of unnecessary, fiddly bits of kit. I like to keep it simple. Only recently have I realised what an ignorant buffoon I have been. "you don't need all that crap on your harness" I would say to people! "I do my job with a blake hitch and a side strop,I can't be doing with fannying about with pulleys and the like" lol lol lol funny how you get stuck in your ways and reluctant to embrace an easier way of doing things isn't it! But this system, which was demonstrated to me at the AA tradefair has re-kindled my interest in climbing kit and knots/systems. I love it! It is an absolutely fantastic system, I am really impressed with the way that you can move your hitch in and out on the system to suit what your doing at any one time (with your full weight against it I might add) its so tidy as well. I know this might be a well known set up but I aint been looking at whats out there for years.

Great photo! Nice 1.

Nev.

Tony

As rbtree says, the eye needs to be bigger than the super tight eyes that some favour. You can see in the image that the eye forms the bight not the splice (bury) itself.

I would assume the same as you....bending the splice doesn't seem a good idea.

We tested this set-up before ITCC last year so that it could be assessed by the gear check folk. Two rope types were used to make the 'loop' (XTC and Poison Ivy). One end of the system was over a large bollard (110mm diameter) the other end was through the green ring used on the treeMOTION (12mm diameter). The loop was completed by tying a six coil Prusik with a 10mm Ocean Polyester eye to eye sling which was connected to the spliced eye via a Petzl OK triact karabiner. A stopper knot was placed under the Prusik.

Each sample was subjected to 15kN for three minutes then the load was increased until failure. The Poison Ivy sample failed at a lower load than XTC when the rope slipped sideways on the bollard and ran over a strengthening rib. This happened at 35.73kN resulting in the rope failing. At this point the green ring had started to become slightly oval and the polyester in the OP sling had started to fuse to the polyester of the climbing line.

I now use:

- a locking Revolver (DMM) to attach this system to my harness. The sheave helps the system to rotate more easily, plus I can connect/disconnect more easily; and

- a very short Prusik made from a 6mm cord instead of the Ropeman.

I noticed climbers using this technique in the Work Climb in Turin over the weekend at the Euro TCC. The result was a number of 'slack-free' climbs.

Chris

Hi, Chris.....

I've been using your system a bit, but also with a prussic. (from any tiny material, as it doesn't need to be rated) Works a bit easier than the ropeman, for sure.

However, the best system of all was shown to me by a local TCC climber, Luke. He simply uses a Ropeman attached directly to one of his Petzl Sequoia bridge rings. (They are held together with a screw, so can be taken apart.) He uses a long enough bridge to allow for extending his hitch. This system as passed inspection at TCC's, as long as he has something, like a stopper knot tied in his long bridge, to limit a slip to 12-18 inches in the event of the Ropeman failing. (Is it rated high enough for this use, i wonder?)

Super slick!

I'm in need of a new saddle, and the Sequoia SRT looks to be very adequate...and a bargain compared to the latest pricey saddles.