Logging in america

xringphil

i have a friend who wanted the same. if i remember his story correctly, he got a plane ticket over, whilst having coffee got talking to the girl serving, she got on the cb radio, put a shout out, the next day he had a job, i think he was late teens early 20s when he went out

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv had about a year and a half experience now working with trees, doing allsorts from climbing work, cutting in the woods doing forestry and also helping with more precision felling of larger trees from houses and road sides using winches ect. I enjoy working felling in the woods more than anything else i do or have done, Iv got many different pictures from both working in the woods, climbing and other jobs iv been involved in. I also have videos, but unsure of how to post them on here, not used arb talk much or long been a member.

Iv had about a year and a half experience now working with trees, doing allsorts from climbing work, cutting in the woods doing forestry and also helping with more precision felling of larger trees from houses and road sides using winches ect. I enjoy working felling in the woods more than anything else i do or have done, Iv got many different pictures from both working in the woods, climbing and other jobs iv been involved in. I also have videos, but unsure of how to post them on here, not used arb talk much or long been a member.

Frankly mate, 18 months just isn't enough experience, you'd be way out of your depth unless you can find a company or individual who would take you on as a trainee? worth a try maybe?

I'd get more experience here first :001_smile: Even if your planning on felling/loggin they'll expect you to have some serious time on the saw. They'll more than likely ask to see pics and vids of trees you've worked on.

Its takes a bit of time to get organised with Visas and find out where you'll be staying etc.

I'd been climbing and working with trees for 3 years before I went out to work in the US as a climber and was glad I never went earlier...... this was day one on the job - had to dismantle these 3 dying Tulip trees, obstacles and hazards everywhere, the two on the left had to be rigged down, my ground crew were all from El Salvador, only one of them had basic english, but we got the job done, but was a real baptism of fire

got loads more pics if your interested

elm.jpg.8a81ee49b36adfffc01e4f7b078971d0.jpg

i have a friend who wanted the same. if i remember his story correctly, he got a plane ticket over, whilst having coffee got talking to the girl serving, she got on the cb radio, put a shout out, the next day he had a job, i think he was late teens early 20s when he went out

I know that Guy.

I thought this thread was more about working in the woods in Oregon. Yarders, skylines, hook tenders, whistle punks, greenhorns,tin hats, cork boots,tail holds, timber wagons, bucking logs, etc etc. Not dismantling tulip trees in residential areas.

I thought this thread was more about working in the woods in Oregon. Yarders, skylines, hook tenders, whistle punks, greenhorns,tin hats, cork boots,tail holds, timber wagons, bucking logs, etc etc. Not dismantling tulip trees in residential areas.

There's climbing to be done during logging operations. If phil tells his prospective employers he can climb and on the first day they ask him to top out a 200ft Douglas Fir he could end up dead without the right kind of valuable experience to be gained here in the UK first.

There's climbing to be done during logging operations. If phil tells his prospective employers he can climb and on the first day they ask him to top out a 200ft Douglas Fir he could end up dead without the right kind of valuable experience to be gained here in the UK first.

Yeah i appreciate that, but with only 18months exp, surely he would have to start at the bottom as a choker chaser and work up to rigging and/or sawing.