stupid question?!?

new_fella

Dont want to sound rude but if you dont know how to dress for the weather of the day then your not going to get very far in this line of work.

of course i know how to dress for the weather!! that wasnt really the question. what i meant was is there anythin that shouldnt be worn, i wouldnt want to wear anythin that would be deemed inapproriate, ie thick trousers or thick jacket that, combined with a chainsaw jacket or trousers would make me look like the michelin man and would cramp all my movement! havin not worn chainsaw protective stuff before i didnt know if it was lightweight or clumpy!! but now i do know!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It does depend on the woods though Felix. A lot of the woods I get to work in were planted on areas too wet for farming, and frequently sit with a couple of inches of water in the winter!! I have a pair of wellies esp for these jobs, as the mud soon creeps over the top of the leather boots, misery. But for just about all other work I have "proper" Goretex lined boots, its gotta be bad before the wellies come out.

Odd Bird, get some of the cheaper leather chainsaw boots, without Goretex if you cant afford them, then buy some Sealskin socks to wear on really wet days, c0ld wet feet are utter misery.

Sound advice Andy. I have some proper Goretex lined boots too now :biggrin:

of course i know how to dress for the weather!! that wasnt really the question. what i meant was is there anythin that shouldnt be worn, i wouldnt want to wear anythin that would be deemed inapproriate, ie thick trousers or thick jacket that, combined with a chainsaw jacket or trousers would make me look like the michelin man and would cramp all my movement! havin not worn chainsaw protective stuff before i didnt know if it was lightweight or clumpy!! but now i do know!

You will probably find that the chainsaw trousers should be worn 'instead of' rather than 'as well as'. If you are going to Writtle, talk to Ray as he is pretty good with stuff like that. Who is teaching your course? :001_cool:

If you are just doing cross cutting you might get cold just standing about watching. Your chainsaw trousers, whatever make they are, will keep you warm. Once you start using your saw you will probably find you heat up pretty quick, so wear layers like t-shirt, sweatshirt and a fleece for when you are standing about. Also perhaps a woolly hat for when you take your helmet off when you finish, just so you don't cool down too quickly afterwards.

You will probably find that the chainsaw trousers should be worn 'instead of' rather than 'as well as'. If you are going to Writtle, talk to Ray as he is pretty good with stuff like that. Who is teaching your course?

ok brilliant cheers! the guy teaching is steve woodley i think! has anyone done this course at writtle! im really looking forward to it, will be my very first experience of arboriculture (albeit a very small part of it)

ok brilliant cheers! the guy teaching is steve woodley i think! has anyone done this course at writtle! im really looking forward to it, will be my very first experience of arboriculture (albeit a very small part of it)

Mate, you will have a great time. Steve will answer any question with a sensible answer and is a good teacher. I met him first when I did my 31 at Writtle last year and bump into him occasionally. Tell him Big Al who works for Will says hi. :thumbup1:

Mate, you will have a great time. Steve will answer any question with a sensible answer and is a good teacher. I met him first when I did my 31 at Writtle last year and bump into him occasionally. Tell him Big Al who works for Will says hi. :thumbup1:

Oh,and tell him geoff still has that old felling axe for him!:biggrin:

And don't forget to take your own grub,Mr. Woodley is very protective of his

own nosh!:001_smile: