Reel question

Lancstree

We've been using Beal Regate for making friction hitches. It seems pretty durable and performs well but I'm wondering if there is anything better all round?? The reason I ask is because I'm going to propose the idea of buying a whole reel of the stuff as it always comes in useful, not only for making prussik loops etc but also for footlocking loops and for connecting the wire core flipline to the harness so it can be separated in emergency

a reel seems a lot for prussic cord you may find it goes out of date or 6 months down the line a better system comes along or better cord we generally buy no more than a years worth

I was thinking a reel might be a lot in the back of my mind. How many meters would you say lasts you a year Bob? What do you mean by going out of date? I'm not aware of shelf life for rope but I'm sure if there was it would be stated in the paperwork that comes with it

I was under the impression that if rope is stored somewhere cool, dry and out of direct light it'd last for years.

I think thats true, if it was stored in ideal conditiond it should last indefinately. The five years retirement rule is a loler requirement for equipment that is in use, it could have been in storage for years before it entered service.