i'm gobsmacked...

ad15

Other way around.

A good few years ago I priced something like £180 to remove a limb from a syc, the other quote they had was something like £2500.(rough figures but was something stupid like that)

Although Ive had a few of those were someone has priced ridiculously high, no doubt to not get the job.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Walk away mate. She probably wouldnt have paid on time anyway.

They are the customers to weed out.

Ditto. My old climber was at this lark for long enough to become bitter and twisted after 20 years at it. After moving from pure forestry to arb with joe pub to deal with I'm now bitter and twisted too. I think the ability to walk away smiling and not giving a toss about a missed job opportunity takes time and some degree of desensitisation. Re the idiot who thinks they can do a professional job for beer money - let em. Should actually put you in a good light since no decent cutter can do that job for that joke of a price so you can gloat at the demolished mercedes and him scratching his head as you drive by..

We are in a recession and people expect everyone to follow suit and reduce accordingly

Recession yes but reductions in price NO WAY. Funny how peeps think we should be lowering our prices when our costs (fuel blah blah blah) are through the roof. Inflation imo is ridiculously under-reported. So long as costs rise so will my prices, 80110X to em.

Ditto. My old climber was at this lark for long enough to become bitter and twisted after 20 years at it. After moving from pure forestry to arb with joe pub to deal with I'm now bitter and twisted too. I think the ability to walk away smiling and not giving a toss about a missed job opportunity takes time and some degree of desensitisation. Re the idiot who thinks they can do a professional job for beer money - let em. Should actually put you in a good light since no decent cutter can do that job for that joke of a price so you can gloat at the demolished mercedes and him scratching his head as you drive by..

once again this is not a personal dig at anyone but why is it that because someone has dared to quote cheeply that they must be idiots and cant do a decent job ?? i regularly quote against reputable companies down here that regularly will quote at hideously cheep prices but its simply to fill the diary thn keep the employed guys working even if they only break even , having said that i also quote against the same copmanies when they have plenty of work on and they are putting in prices 3x what they should be , i guess its just the nature of the industry , but what is not fair is to just jump in and assume that because the compettitor has gone in cheeper than you then they must be idiots that dont know what they are doing .

Ok they could turn up with a Vermeer BC2000 and the best climber on the planet. But they are still dumb for making a BIG FAT LOSS !

Again it can only be assumed that they will make a loss , i know of at least one firm down here where by the kit is all bought an payed for many many many times over , the chap does not invest in anything that is not a bare esential etc etc , and yes he can afford to quote super cheeply and not make a loss because he has at least one large contract that pays the bills and some . i personally dont feel that quoting cheeply is doing the industry any good what so ever and infact if these guys thought about it enough they would realsie that pricing realisticly may not win them all the work but what they do win will be better pating and may mean that they are only working 3 days instead of 6 days for the same money . but hey i guess its the nature of pricing :confused1:

I quote on my business model and setup, I have a standard pricing system which never quotes high or low.

I can quote the job then quote it a year later and still come up with very near the original quote, if they dont like the quote and want to go with a cheaper quote then they are welcome.

I do not lower my prices to get the job, my setup costs what it costs