Screwdrivers?

tockmal

I used snap on tools for a number of years to earn my living as a on site plant engineer.

How anyone can call them over priced crap is beyond me. How do you put a price on the piece of mind that comes with the reliability of them when your livelihood depends on it?

Britool are very good, but there is only one brand for me.

I have to agree.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used snap on tools for a number of years to earn my living as a on site plant engineer.

How anyone can call them over priced crap is beyond me. How do you put a price on the piece of mind that comes with the reliability of them when your livelihood depends on it?

I to used to work in heavy plant engineering repairing Indeco Hydraulic breakers.

I had a lot of Snap on kit, but wasn't that impressed towards the end, in my oppinion Snap on tools are only as good as the local agent. We had one that was all to used to the local village garage. We used to have a hell of a job to get warranty claims out of him, he was allways trying to use the "you've exceeded its maximum torque rating"! not handy. Sods law also said something would break the afternoon after he visited and it would be a week before we'd see him again! A lot of used started buying Halfords Pro stuff as its got a good warranty and if anything did break we could pop in on our way home and have it swapped.

We used to use a 3/4 drive 30mm impact socket a hell of a lot, probably for 3-4hrs a day, the snap on socket would last aout a week! wouldn't replace under warranty as it was wear and tear. We ended up using Qualsock sockets very very good would last a couple of months compared to snap on.

Snap on has its place, and I feel its in the light/medium automotive industry, and a lot rides on the service of the agent. I'd never say Snap on was rubbish but I'm not at all convinced its the best for every scenario.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to agree and disagree with you there, I think if anyone calls snap on crap they obviously dont have a clue about tools, they are far from crap. However they are seriously over priced, there are a few reasons for this, 1 the brand is massive people recognise the name Snap on with quality and are prepared to pay more for it, also to be a Snap on distributor you have to buy a franchise which means you are the only agent allowed to service a particular area, which in turn means you have no competition if there were 2 snap on Dealers or more in your area you could expect to pay much less as they enter a pricing war with eachother.

In my opinion you can have the same quality tools much cheaper with Teng or Facom or something of the like. I know the Tengtools Lifetime guarantee is unequivicable I have never had a replacement refused even for customers with a 25 year old ratchet, we also replace items from our own stock so there is no waiting involved for our customers, if they handed me a broken ratchet I would hand them a new one back there and then (assuming I had one). This may not be the case across the board for Teng suppliers but thats the way we do it.

Moving back onto the point of this whole thread, some really good quality screwdrivers and bits are WERA......

800/1 BDC Bits

Application: For slotted screws

Drive: 1/4`` hexagon, DIN 3126-C 6,3, ISO 1173

Tip: DIN 5264-C, ISO 2380, Diamond coated

800_1_bdc.jpg

853/1 TZ Bits, ACR

Application: For Phillips screws

Drive: 1/4" hexagon, DIN 3126-C 6,3, ISO 1173

Tip: DIN 5260-PH, ISO 8764-PH, ACR (Anti Cam-Out Ribs), professional quality

853_1_tz_acr_ph.jpg