Which beginner chainsaw?

Jonny5

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive used the cheap huskeys and they seem cheap in every way but stihl seem to keep standards high throughout the range,on the other hand if you could step upto a 346,youd have one hell of a saw,nothing in its class comes close.

dito

if you are becoming a professinal dont waste time with 180s youll soon wish you saved a hundred or something quid n got a husky 346 i think its pointless having anything smaller for pro use IMO

Hi, I've come across a Makita dsc430 on ebay. Item number: 160485338276 Do you think it may be a quick simple fix regarding the idling issue to get it running properly? The guy is local to me so could be a real bargain if he accepts cash.

Please advise, the help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Jon-Paul

Hi, I've come across a Makita dsc430 on ebay. Item number: 160485338276 Do you think it may be a quick simple fix regarding the idling issue to get it running properly? The guy is local to me so could be a real bargain if he accepts cash.

Please advise, the help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Jon-Paul

It could be a simple adjustment on the tick over screw or low idle screw etc OR it could be knackered ie ran without two stroke and the bore and piston are shot.It can still run but very badly.

Its too difficult to say without having a good look at the saw.

Try and buy a new saw.

Just get as much money together as you can and spend it all on a new saw.

Decided not to bother going to have a look at the Makita saw after all. I fought off the impulse to go and buy it.

I do appreciate the advice about the 346xp, but new, it is way out of my price bracket and I'm not sure if I could justify spending that amount on something that's only going to be used occasionally and might be overkill for my requirements. On the other hand, I do want something that's going to last with plentiful spare parts available, so maybe a professional grade machine is the better bet. And I could always sell it on if it doesn't go some way to paying for itself. So a good used one it is then.