Big Dead Beech!

woodland

Hi Guys

We have this bloody big dead beech to straight fell, Its properly mushy been standing dead for several years. we can climb the neighbouring tree to put a pull line in it. but has anyone any thoughts on the best way to tie the pull line into it baring in mind the top half is liable to snap out when the tractor moves forward?

cheers

If you have pullies you can tie it off in the base and feed the rope through pullies tied in at intervals, if they break out they will snatch on the next one - by then the tree should be going in the direction you want anyway.

Or, depending on the canopy you could feed the rope over and through the fork you would be tying in at and down the back of the tree and tie it off near the base on the opposite side your pulling from. If the top breaks out the rope should slip into the next fork and you can continue to pull.

Any pic's of the tree? Targets ect?

Line in onto a sound as you can get limb next to the trunk, run the line down the back of the trunk away from the pull direction & trying to incorperate as much sound wood on the opposit side to the pull as you can. Then terminate that end with running BL or better knot to the trunk to where you can reach. Pull from the other end.

This transfers the load from the top pulling point slightly I think. Not a physics expert of tree felling one but it has worked for me in the past.

Without knowing what the trees real state is in I can only say what I mite do in the pic you have painted of her.

I think it has alot to do with how much pull your tractor has too. The lower the pull on stronger wood the better your chances if you know what you are doing!!??

If you have pullies you can tie it off in the base and feed the rope through pullies tied in at intervals, if they break out they will snatch on the next one - by then the tree should be going in the direction you want anyway.

Or, depending on the canopy you could feed the rope over and through the fork you would be tying in at and down the back of the tree and tie it off near the base on the opposite side your pulling from. If the top breaks out the rope should slip into the next fork and you can continue to pull.

Thanks for that sounds like a plan, Im guessing the bigger the hinge the better, its always tricky though when their dead they just seem to sheer off regardless il take some pics of the aftermath :))