RBTree's awsome pics

Mr Ed

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and a couple for ya crusty ole lumberjax.....

This time, here's tons of artsy stuff, fall colors, etc. Some tree work, some of work we've done, some generic....not all labeled that well.

I'm finally getting a company website going, and needed to get lots of shots together, and in a usuable size, so I can choose among them for the site.

And if you go to my main site, there's a slew more photo sets.

Very nice - you have go a good eye for photos, you should put them on istockphoto.com :wave:

Yes I should. I've seen that site, but forgot about it. TThanks.

Back when I shot skiing more seriously, I considered a stock agency, but never got around to it. But you have to be really good, and have a lot of images, to be accepted by a normal stock agency. istock is a new, and probably a good thing....but maybe not for photographers that expect to get top $ for image use.

• 1 month later...

I've copied this from another forum.

This tree failed in the Dec 2006 storm. It was a double codominate...We had installed a Cobra cable system in the canopy about 6 years ago.I hadn't pruned it, or if I did, not nearly enough. It failed below the cabled area, leaving about one branch. We left it at 40 feet, as a wildlife snag and suggested having it carved into something. Ann decided to remove it, which we did today. We lowered a 12 foot section with the GRCS, which probably weighed 1500 pounds. It had broken 16 feet above the fork, so we used the smaller trunk to lift the larger one off. Thern we felled the bottom 26 feet, and cut 4 slabs from the butt. Two will make nice tables. I might be able to dig down and cut one more. Anyone want to buy a table? Given time, We should be able to come up with some suitable legs from large curved cedar branches....I'm going to buy some special Anchor Seal wood sealant and paint the slabs tomorrow after work., to keep them from checking and cracking. Then, in a few months Eric of GoGreen Design can help me get them planed and sanded. The holes will create some character for the table...something could be placed in them, like a glass candleholder...etc...

On either side of the tree, bigger and better cedars thrive. Ian Scott pruned one 6 years ago, and Dave Sturm and I just pruned the other, which is nearly 24 feet in circumference at ground level. 8 pics are here

After the lift off and lowering

2636465731_7500c0467a_o.jpg

the stump, the butt log, slabs, and the trunk of the standing big cedar:

2630065900_503f753bec_o.jpg

the largest slab-that's a 43" bar on the 3120

2630065496_a29a69b751_o.jpg

Here's a video ...no title, subtitles etc...and raw sound..customer wondering about the camera, and me blathering on about nothing.....

Click here to watch Hargis-Cedar Dubble click for full screen.

It's 75 mb....I put it on putfile, first time I've used them since the "Squeeze Play" first try....I see its taking a long time to buffer..But the quality is quite good!

I'll try it on Google or U-Tube.......later.

I had to tie it down a ways to get lift...so it didn't hang as straight as I like.. but we managed to lift it off, after I got the saw unstuck and nipped the last of the holding wood.

• 3 months later...

It has been glorious....only a tad bit of rain, has allowed the colors to really pop...lots of cool clear nights too, just the ticket.

This is a slide show....you can navigate out of it and back to the set or my main flickr page....

• 2 weeks later...

It snowed all the down to 2000 feet yesterday. This is the Cascades behind downtown Bellevue. 520 mm lens equivalent on the ID Mk ll

3007553146_023e826e40_o.jpg

A foot or more fell in many areas! I saw some videos of people who hiked for their turns in the Wasatch above Salt Lake City today...it was super deep and blower powder! Others were skiing up around Mt Baker today. I was working....:/:

3006717871_f24f339a2b_o.jpg

Spotted this venerable old 5 foot dbh oak a few days ago. Had a tiny job nearby today, and shot some better pics of it. Left a card with a caregiver. The owner is 96...won't be getting any work from them.

3007553086_bf0181fcce_o.jpg

Drove up to find a Jap maple that I'd forgotten to prune last fall. gotta find the guy's phone number. The tree is 21 feet wide, 13 feet tall, one of the largest in the country..and prolly worth $50k....I have another one almost as large to prune as well!

3007553324_22146a6c43_o.jpg

3006718093_dd1abb31a0_o.jpg

Just across the street, this upright maple still is in its glory

3007553270_54c30a8af3_o.jpg

Then, my lucky day, two houses away is an awesome copper beech that I've admired for 25 years, or since I first spotted it. It has never been touched. The original owner's (deceased 10 years ago) daughter was out raking leaves. I'd never been able to talk to anyone there before. She was happy to speak with me. I suggested that the tree be considered for our Seattle Heritage Tree Program. I'll nominate it. The tree is over 4 feet dbh, and 100 feet tall. Prolly the largest in Seattle.

I've rec climbed the largest in the state, which is just under 6 feet dbh, and 115 feet tall, in a cemetary in Everett.