You've got me at it now Hama

Albedo

By the way, as this is in the fungi pictures bit, heres my other pic from today.

These wee beasties on dead malus And I know you can't do the work for me so its back to some learning for me but keep it comeing H .... advice, buttons I don't know about, its all good:thumbup1:

This image would have beniffited from having a little natural light reflected up into the bottom shaded portion, a reflector is the cheapest aid in photography, by a flexible one with silver on one side gold on the other, youll be amazed what it does for your images, from a stop or two in aperture to increas DOF to lighting the underside of the fungi (etc) without flash, reducing the harsh imblances of contrast.:001_cool:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This image would have beniffited from having a little natural light reflected up into the bottom shaded portion, a reflector is the cheapest aid in photography, by a flexible one with silver on one side gold on the other, youll be amazed what it does for your images, from a stop or two in aperture to increas DOF to lighting the underside of the fungi (etc) without flash, reducing the harsh imblances of contrast.:001_cool:

I noticed you mentioned the reflector to monkey d and have had it in the back of my mind so will look out for one and give it a go.

I have only played with one of the variables in DOF up to now which is the F stop. Are you saying that the increased reflected light will have the effect of an F stop or two up.? I guess this makes sense as its like more light from a bigger aperture. Confusing cos F8 is small and F2 is big if I'm not mistaken.

Also a thing that confuses me is that distance from subject is a variable in DOF but if you go to far away, you can't frame the image. Am I being stupid here or do you see my confusion?

Oh you wanna get into all this do ya!

well what about the fact that all that is also complicated by focal length too, oh and sensor size too! lmao

I've been meaning to ask for ages H, what is lmao?

And yes, but I am doing it one variable at a time as my brain cell only does one at a time:001_smile:

I guess its late now, there's always another day mate.

Photography is all about compromises, its iether shutter or aperture priority, and many things influence the balance of the equation.

Hand holding? well most people need a 60th of a second with steady hands, 125th is safe for 99% of folk, monopods help and probably get a good holder to about 30th second maximum shutter. tripods faster still and add a cable or remote release (self timer is as good and hence the 2 second option!) This then allows YOU the control to set whatever shutter speed you like so minimum apertures can be maintained for maximum depth of field as in a macr/landscape

Laughing. My. Arse. Off!

You dont need to get so deep into this stuff, if your not aware of basic image influences then leave all this till later. master some basic imaging lessons, like framing composition, and a few neat tricks like panning, and if you can be bothered set up a line of bottles at 45 degree 1 foot apart and tinker with camera settings/focal lengths to get a true feel of what YOUR camera can and does do with depth at certain combinations, its a real good excersise

Photography is all about compromises, its iether shutter or aperture priority, and many things influence the balance of the equation.

Hand holding? well most people need a 60th of a second with steady hands, 125th is safe for 99% of folk, monopods help and probably get a good holder to about 30th second maximum shutter. tripods faster still and add a cable or remote release (self timer is as good and hence the 2 second option!) This then allows YOU the control to set whatever shutter speed you like so minimum apertures can be maintained for maximum depth of field as in a macr/landscape

Thats a quality bit of explaining H.

So optimum DOF macr/landscape needs a slow shutter speed = more light

but small aperture to capture the detail of the subject.

So should I try shooting a fungi thing at F2, and as the LX5 defaults I think to 1/60th, maybe change it to 125th on shutter speed?

although I appreciate that, to answer that, you might need to know more about what the desired image is.

Edit: re-reading your post I think my 'slow ' should read 'fast' gonna have to think this thru a bit as I don't expect you to spoon feed me too much.

Will do some homework on this.

Edited by Albedo