2nd kiln progress thread

Big J

I'm filling my second kiln starting tomorrow and all being well ending on Sunday 26th with the kiln being closed and going on.

I have a little bit milled and ready to go in, but really only some fairly small pippy Oak (about 30 cubic foot all in, with lengths of 7-8ft and widths of up to 28 inches, but mostly less).

Timber to be milled in the next 7 days include:

* Oak - one log, 27ft long, 44 inches at the butt, 30 inches at the top. One branch. Hoppus measure gives me 170 cubic foot from the log. I've sold 20 cubic foot green, 20 cubic foot goes to the owner of the log for airdrying, 40 cubic foot cubic foot goes to the owner of the log for a table and bed, but is being kilned, leaving me with 90 cubic foot.

* Elm - one 36 inch x 7ft log to mill tomorrow. 4 trees coming mid week, averaging 39 inches in diameter, lengths unknown. Doubt I'll be able to mill all of that or indeed fit in into the kiln (total capicity 250 cubic foot).

Overall breakdown for the stock in the kiln will be:

* 30 cubic foot smallish pippy oak.

* 130 cubic foot wide, straight oak

* 90 cubic foot wide, straight elm.

I'll get pictures over the course of the week and keep this thread updated. :thumbup:

Jonathan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys - it's going to be a beautiful feeling when that kiln door gets closed next weekend with a stack of beautiful, top grade elm and oak stacked to the cloisters!

Rob - spirits not dampened at all! It was a tough day but the positives I take from it are that I've found out the limitation of the Alaskan (knowing the limitation is oddly reassuring for me) and I got to have a play with a band saw.

Went over to Tom D's yard today over in East Lothian to mill a nice lump of Elm. About 32 inches in diameter on average over a length of 6ft 8". Set up the 088 with the 60 inch Cannon Bar, complete with auxiliary oiler. First time using this set up - spent a good while ensuring it was done right yesterday.

Anyway, unfortunately I struggled with the long bar. It's just not possible to avoid a degree of sag in the middle of the bar, which resulted in a small inaccuracy in the slabbing of the Elm (milling at 51mm (two inches) with one side at 51 and the other 60mm). With the stacking of my kiln being in the region of 25-30 boards high, I have to have the boards accurately milled (hasn't been a problem up to now with the 36 inch bar).

Anyway, rather than continue to mill on a bad line with the Alaskan, Tom D very VERY kindly offered to slab the remainder of the timber on his Lumbermate Bandsaw. Managed to get the log on (just - with myself and my wife as ballast on the back of the tractor. If you can't say that your wife isn't good ballast, is there really any point being married at all??!), took off a rough top slab to get it through the throat of the saw.

The bandsawmilling was quick and efficient, and even with the relatively small motor (13hp), it was blasting through at one cut a minute. Produced some lovely elm slabs, which should be snapped up once the kiln opens.

It was nice to have a shot with the bandmill too. For sub 22 inch logs it's absolutely superb, taking far less time. It is however very much limited by it's throat, and that if you push too hard, the band snaps (as evidenced today). A great addition to any milling setup, but I think an Alaskan's ability to mill wide boards is equally invaluable.

At this point I want to say a special thankyou to Rob Dyer. After speaking to him at the end of the day regarding the milling, he is taking back the 60 inch bar and associated rails and mill, and resupplying me with a 42 inch bar, several new chains and an additional handle. This is something that I am completely aware that he has no obligation to do, but he does willingly nevertheless. The world needs more retailers and indeed people like him, so thanks Rob!!

Pictures will be put up momentarily.

Jonathan

P9190003.jpg

Not from today, but a curved Oak bridge beam milled for a friend who is a furniture maker. Took ages to find the right, curved piece of branch wood large enough for the beam. Worth the wait though.

It was milled in the normal fashion with the Alaskan, roughly cut out with a 260 following a jig line, and fine finished with a router.

P9190002.jpg

Another view, up the steam this time.

P9190010.jpg

Big Elm, from North Berwick. Around 32-33 inches across.

P9190011.jpg

Fabulous figure throughout.

Progress! Rob has very kindly (and very quickly) sent me the new 42 inch bar as a replacement for the 60. It came at about 3pm this afternoon, got it drilled and set up with the mill. Finished loading the timber that I already had for the kiln (only amounting to about 50 cube so far).

The milling starts in earnest tomorrow. Travelling 30 miles to this big Oak down near Peebles. It's 27ft long, average 3ft diameter (I'm going to straight edge one side by milling the top and rolling it 90 degrees). It will get cut to 12ft, 8ft and 7ft. I'm anticipating it will take three full days to mill and stack (approx 160 cubic foot). After that, I'll be onto big elm again with any luck, assuming these 4 trees from Holyrood come off.

In the mean time, here is a picture of the rather diminutive stack in the kiln so far with some frankly stunning elm on top!

P9220039.jpg