The Best hedgetrimmer

Andy Collins

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, been on a hedge-a-thon today, used my double side Robin, compared it with my single side Tanaka, and 4 various other trimmers. The Robin definitely has the best cut, fuel range, as is most manouverable of all there today. But the vibes are the killer for me. I think its going to be a toss up with a new slightly bigger Robin, and an Echo at the moment.

My Echo HC30ES (easy start), bought May '07 has been the best trimmer I have ever had. Very easy to start with just the lightest pull, handy when up on a tall hedge. Very good balance & low vibes. Fitted with a sweep bar. The only drawback for me is the poor air filter which fills up with cuttings once you are swinging it above shoulder height.

The newer model has more comprehensive anti vibe fittings.

Just bought a Stihl HS86 which is OK but despite the blade being a couple of inches longer, the actual cutting reach is reduced due to the positioning of the forward handle. Not noticed a poorer finished cut.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thanks for all the feedback.

I believe I have found the Holy Grail of trimmers

Cue drumroll.............

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you..............

The Echo HCR171ES

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

This machine has met all my original requirements, in particular the vibration issue, but also has a beautiful quality cut, a good balance, a rotating back handle. Very ergonomic design.

Thanks to Jon (TCD) for his recommendation, and indeed sourcing the machine for me, then arranging delivery. Top bloke:thumbup:

Of course, the quest for the perfect machine never ends.....what to look for next? We'll see.

i had a play about with one at the show it felt really well balanced, i was gonna get one but the hedge season is nearly over (for me anyway) where did it come from Andy and what price i will have one for next year.

( if it was a secret deal you dont need to say the price) :thumbup:

I did get a "special" price thanks to TCD (Jon) from a shop down his way in Plymouth. I think Echo said they retail for around 330 +vat, as its near the end of season may be some cracking deals around now.

here is a picture of Excalibur the Echo, a stunning work of art and craftsmanship, truly worthy of the name:thumbup:

IMG00347-20100930-1432.jpg.a6ea9351ed82b8fedb5cde7fcb9cf9ff.jpg

I did get a "special" price thanks to TCD (Jon) from a shop down his way in Plymouth. I think Echo said they retail for around 330 +vat, as its near the end of season may be some cracking deals around now.

here is a picture of Excalibur the Echo, a stunning work of art and craftsmanship, truly worthy of the name:thumbup:

Glad you have seen the light Andy :thumbup: