Conny topping near power line

MaxJ

i could be wrong but if you cary out any pruing work within 9metres of utiltiys or 15metres if your felling you must imform the electric distributers in that area ??????? .

and without being a tool im sure that connys a catigoryA tree with a ABC cable (ariel bundled cable) - insulated mabe but never treat as insulated. to the left u can see tele wires in the foreground

you could direction rope the top and top it out (few tops like) , be it on your own head, it may no be a 3phase stacked lv cabe but you could still cause a little damage if 'insulasion' is worn.

i had a friend who couldnt wait for me to do his tree and he did most himself until a huge branch he was on snapped onto an abc cable - if it was anything else he could have been toast , what a turkey

Edited by Dr.Green

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i did those for someone else with no shutdown or shrouding, as you can see, cut and chuked everything. I wasn't too happy about it but did it anyway to save any grief.

The job i originally got intot his thread about was a waste of time, ythe UKPN guy rang me yesterday to ask why i'd done the job already...I hadn't gotta love it when the customer just gets some cowboy in to smash something down whilst fully aware that your in the process of contacting UKPN and there were two sets of line son that one muchb closer than on the pictured tree's, touching them was inevitable.

I bet no one hesitates for a second pulling an old extension lead out of the shed then plugging it in to there lawn mower etc! :laugh1:

As far as I know LV won't jump gaps and surely it shouldn't be a problem with pin holes in the sheath etc.

Not saying we should go around grabbing the cables though!

I bet no one hesitates for a second pulling an old extension lead out of the shed then plugging it in to there lawn mower etc! :laugh1:

As far as I know LV won't jump gaps and surely it shouldn't be a problem with pin holes in the sheath etc.

Not saying we should go around grabbing the cables though!

LV WILL flash over in certain circumstances and yes if there is a pin hole in the sheath then it is possable to get a shock from it ! An old extension lead would be less of a risk due to its limited AMPs and The Main circuit breaker situated on the consumer unit , the fuses dont blow when you touch them whilst tre cutting instead they cause horrific burns and potential death . I would strongly advise you not post such comments with regards Health and Safety . :thumbdown:

LV WILL flash over in certain circumstances and yes if there is a pin hole in the sheath then it is possable to get a shock from it ! An old extension lead would be less of a risk due to its limited AMPs and The Main circuit breaker situated on the consumer unit , the fuses dont blow when you touch them whilst tre cutting instead they cause horrific burns and potential death . I would strongly advise you not post such comments with regards Health and Safety . :thumbdown:

If you know all the facts then please post them.:thumbup1:

Im fairly sure its the voltage not the amps that make electricity jump.Also how does the breaker make a difference?ie are you really sure the extension lead is less of a risk?

Ill remember your last coment when I see you post something that I know is nt 100% right eh?:001_rolleyes:

If you know all the facts then please post them.:thumbup1:

Im fairly sure its the voltage not the amps that make electricity jump.Also how does the breaker make a difference?ie are you really sure the extension lead is less of a risk?

Ill remember your last coment when I see you post something that I know is nt 100% right eh?

good for you , give your self a pat on the back . read my posts all you like - i commented because not everyone that reads these posts knows much about powerlines and i would not wish anyone to get hurt because they have read something that could be missleading , having worked round powerlines for over 7 years i am only making it clear that it is possible to cause an LV flash over and that from a pin prick in the coating of a conductor it is possible to get a shock .

Come on my post wasnt misleading at all!

I said 'As far as I know' and 'it shouldnt' which is fairly accurate anyway.(it takes roughly 3000V to jump 1mm in air)

Of course I wouldnt want anyone messing about with electricity and getting injured, but really, if they are asking question about power lines they shouldnt be going near them.

Plus I was pointing out we should all check our extension leads now and then:001_tongue:

Come on my post wasnt misleading at all!

I said 'As far as I know' and 'it shouldnt' which is fairly accurate anyway.(it takes roughly 3000V to jump 1mm in air)

Of course I wouldnt want anyone messing about with electricity and getting injured, but really, if they are asking question about power lines they shouldnt be going near them.

Plus I was pointing out we should all check our extension leads now and then:001_tongue:

the problem with powerlines is that the phases/ conductors are close enough that a flash over is very posible should a conductor/phase be disrupted/moved by a branch . when we are cutting LV live from a MEWP we are expected to wear a Nomex/fire retardent jacket , Non Nylon gloves and where possible a helmet with polly carbonate face visor because of the risk of a possible flash over .

as for extension leads i have never had one in one piece long enough to need it checking :001_tt2: they nevr seem to stay in one piece

Looked at a connie job this week,the top of the hedge had its whiskers touching 2 wires which were the very old twisted metal ones which looked to have no insulation on at all,running the length of the hedge. I advised client to ask edf to reduce it,and meantime not to touch the hedge at all.Then ide come back and side it up.

Incidently,at the end of garden was a high voltage 3 side by side cables to a transformer,and these had actualy been burning the twigs and leaves in the canopy of a sycamore they passed through.