Problem customer

Jon Lad

haha i cant believe you did not call them befor you went to the job jon.....thats not like you to be disorganised your normerly on top of that stuff. good luck getting the dosh your guna need it! haha

Tell me about it! I don't normally read customers wrong but I did this one.

Got some legal advice today and turns out it's a continuing contract and it was as much her duty to inform me of a change in or cancellation of the date as it would be of me to do so. No trespass issues, as we had to go onto her property to carry out the work as arranged.

I'll get a letter off to her soon if she hasn't paid up and see what happens.

Hope things are ok with you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there the thing is did she sign a written contract with the date of your the next working visit for you to carry out the work and the price on the next years job .

If it was just a verbal agreement and you just put it in your diry and just a verbal qote you may struggle as if she does not pay and you take her to small claims then unless there is anything written down as the work being done and future work booked in to do she may still go for the trespass and damages on a counter claim as she can say she know nothing about your second visit one year or the price

Some years ago I took someone through small claims court myself I did win and it was well worth it but I had to work hard to dot all the i and cross all the Ts before I got to the table

I really wish you all the best with this one

All the best

Littltree:001_smile:

Tell me about it! I don't normally read customers wrong but I did this one.

Got some legal advice today and turns out it's a continuing contract and it was as much her duty to inform me of a change in or cancellation of the date as it would be of me to do so. No trespass issues, as we had to go onto her property to carry out the work as arranged.

I'll get a letter off to her soon if she hasn't paid up and see what happens.

Hope things are ok with you.

Just apologise and forget it like everyone else says. One lost day is not worth damaged reputation.

Problem contractor more like!

I don't know if its arrogance or complacency or just stupidity to turn up to a job 12 months after "booking" it in!!

To even think of trying to get them to pay up is just adding to the disgrace and lack of proffessionalism. Man up and take it and apologise and walk away. If you actually go through with the small claims procedure then you don't deserve to have any more customers.

No wonder its easy for the rest of us to give good service if this kind of thing is being done everywhere. Thanks though, you gave us a good laugh at work today!

How can it be arrogant, complacent or stupid to book a date with a customer for 12 months time, as I do with other regular customers. Which she writes in her diary and I put in mine.

Then turn up on the exact day as arranged and do the work to the same standard as last time, with which they were so happy. Which incidentally was the reason they were so keen to book the work in again a year in advance!

Considering you've never met me, know nothing about: me personally; my business; the people I work with; the work I've done or the experience I've got. The comments you made are quite offensive and insulting, yet you describe me as the arrogant one.

As to giving you a good laugh at work today: that just about sums you up.

I say what I think, and so do you, we'd get on fine...

Not a single person here has agreed that you have done right, I just said what I thought a bit louder I guess.

I didn't say you were arrogant, I said I didn't know which of those characteristics would best describe the situation. It may not by any of those things to book the date 12 months in advance but to just turn up without making contact is at least one of those things, I don't know which because like you say I don't know you well enough, only you know the answer to that.

Take the advice given, that you asked for, and walk away from the situation. I decided not to post at first because everyone else had already said everything, and I guessed you had got the message but then you stated you were pursuing the claim, so I added my bit.

Well jon is a very ''my word is my bond'' type of lad which is a good thing.(most of the time)

His work is of a very high standard and he is very professional.

But i think 12 months with no phone call to remind them i a very long time, a call the night befor would have saved you a lot of crap as you know.

and is it going to be worth the hassle? i think not.........matt.

PS yes jon im good ta...moving down to london to start my new job in 3 weeks! swinging in the london plane's ha

you are the contractor, she is the customer, your boss. If my lad wants to borrow a strimmer or get some logs, he knows he is more than welcome, and when he asks i say ' of course, get stuck in you dont need to ask' but what i really mean is ' yes you can because you give me the respect i want by asking '. You have tried it your way and it hasnt worked and you will go down a certain path, why not try it another way and see if it goes better. If you had your hand in a door and kept slamming it, every time it is going to hurt, it will always hurt until you take your hand out the door. Being stubborn and keeping it in there might prove a point to yourself but not have a positive outcome. You really should of called this thread,' how dare this woman treat me like this, i am going to show her '.

Do you want the money or do you want to resolve the situation and learn from it, even if you dont get paid, right it off as a loss. I have a guy who has owed me £800 for nearly 10 years, it used to drive me nuts every time i had a bad day, but i learnt from it over time and it hasnt happened again. :001_smile:

you are the contractor, she is the customer, your boss. If my lad wants to borrow a strimmer or get some logs, he knows he is more than welcome, and when he asks i say ' of course, get stuck in you dont need to ask' but what i really mean is ' yes you can because you give me the respect i want by asking '. You have tried it your way and it hasnt worked and you will go down a certain path, why not try it another way and see if it goes better. If you had your hand in a door and kept slamming it, every time it is going to hurt, it will always hurt until you take your hand out the door. Being stubborn and keeping it in there might prove a point to yourself but not have a positive outcome. You really should of called this thread,' how dare this woman treat me like this, i am going to show her '.

Do you want the money or do you want to resolve the situation and learn from it, even if you dont get paid, right it off as a loss. I have a guy who has owed me £800 for nearly 10 years, it used to drive me nuts every time i had a bad day, but i learnt from it over time and it hasnt happened again. :001_smile:

Your wasted as a tree surgeon or whatever you call yourself mate. You talk alot of sense! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: