Problem customer

Jon Lad

Did a job last year 7 really large hollies to trim back into form, they'd been neglected for some time before this. The customer told me how pleased she was, that they'd never looked as good etc etc. I said that if they were trimmed every year that they would look even better - rather than getting them done every few years when they'd grown out of shape again.

I suggested we book a date in for 12 months time, she agreed and wrote the date down and I put it in my diary.

Last wednesday we went and did the job. There was no-one in but the trees were accessible so did the job. I rang her on friday to see if she was happy with the work. She went crackers down the phone. Asking how dare I go and do work on her property when she wasn't there? Saying that she would never have dreamed of getting us to do them again as they didn't need doing. Telling me it was sharp practice to just come and do it.

When I pointed out to her that we had booked the job in 12 months ago. She got even angrier and told me, we hadn't booked it in we'd "pencilled" it in.

She the went on to say that she wouldn't be paying a penny and that I could talk to her husband who was a lawyer and would be back tomorrow.

With hindsight I should have rung before to confirm, but I have quite a few customers who are booked in every year and we just turn up and do the work. If they want to re-arrange the date or cancel, they ring and tell me.

Any suggestions, I'm thinking small claims court?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should have tryed calling her first before doing the job mate. i had one bloke that asked me to reduce and shape a acer negundo flamingo november last year and told him i would no do it till spring (end of march) i tryed to get hold of him he did not answer so left it then in at the end of april he phoned me telling me i was ment to do the job a month ago. i lost the job because he said he could not trust me and the only reason i didnt do the job when he wanted in november was i didnt want the cold weather to damage the tree. if i was u next time i would try calling in on them (ring them) make shore 2 weeks before u want to do the job mate

Wait and see what the husband has to say. He will no doubt have a bit of a rant as his wife will have wound him up about it, so let him say his piece, then explain YOUR misunderstanding re the booking-in/ pencilling-in, possibly even citing your other yearly regulars, and he may calm down and at least accept your apology, to part on good terms. I think that you are unlikely to see any money, and I wouldn't ask for any either, but you may at least ensure he doesnt slag you off to his neighbours etc.