Stamets, oil inoculation is here!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

oh Ive been waiting a long time to see this product on the shelf!:crazy:

Another string to the bow of eco arboriculture.

Spored Oils™

We offer unique blends of spored oils, one for decomposing stumps of conifers and one for hardwoods. These oils are designed as environmentally friendly, biodegradable lubricants for chain-saws and other wood cutting tools (dilute 1:10 with canola oil for best results). As the wood is being cut, the spore-mass infused oil disperses mushroom spores into the cut faces of wood, and upon germination of spores accelerate the decomposition of stumps and brush. Stamets says, "Here is an alternative for reducing fuel load in the forest to prevent forest fires—don't rob the carbon bank by removing litter—saprophytize with fungi!"

Spored Oils™ for Deciduous Woodlands contains spores of the Pearl Oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus).

Fungi Perfecti: mushroom plug spawn

Yihaa!

I wil bring this up with the County Directory Board next week when Im doing a coure on Managing veteran Trees. Had a meeting with them today doing TPO inspections and showing them my monoliths and retrenchments:thumbup:

They liked it all!!!

You reckon I should mention my idea of inoculating other stuff aswell?!?:sneaky2:

Why put it in your saw & spread it all over every cut you make (and you & the environment) when you could just apply some to the stump after its cut? You would use a lot less too.

The idea is to dilute it, and not have to apply it to every cut!

the idea is also to have harmless saprophytes/endophytes colonising cuts rather than wound parasites:thumbup1:

Yes, but you probably won't want to infect tomorrow's tree! Perhaps I'm missing something because this seems a classic example of taking a sledgehammer to a walnut. If you want to infect a stump - one cut! - just paint the darned stuff on. That way you avoid mixing, infecting your saw's oiling system, then flushing it all out again, a process that presumably involves fungicide.

I just don't get this.

Yes, but you probably won't want to infect tomorrow's tree! Perhaps I'm missing something because this seems a classic example of taking a sledgehammer to a walnut. If you want to infect a stump - one cut! - just paint the darned stuff on. That way you avoid mixing, infecting your saw's oiling system, then flushing it all out again, a process that presumably involves fungicide.

I just don't get this.

I can see this as more use in forestry rather than domestic tree work, as you'd end up having to either flush your saws depending on what work you've have that day or running two sets. Not something most of us can afford. As you say, it's something that can just as easily be sprayed or even painted on to stumps.

Nice try though :lol:

oh dear, let me explain.

imagine your doing a prune, a thirty percent reduction and lift to a road side ash.

the last thing you want is for those wounds to become an entry point for inonotus hispidus, right?

so by using an oil in the saw (permanently i might add) that carries a mix/blend of oils containing trichoderma and other harmless higher fungi competitive species you insitgate a complex saprotrphic community that is very unfavourable to a wound parasite such as hispidus, laeti, fistulina, tripe fungus etc etc etc

mark my words, in a few years from now, this will be standard practice.