Stamets, oil inoculation is here!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

oh dear, let me explain.

imagine your doing a prune, a thirty percent reduction and lift to a road side ash.

the last thing you want is for those wounds to become an entry point for inonotus hispidus, right?

so by using an oil in the saw (permanently i might add) that carries a mix/blend of oils containing trichoderma and other harmless higher fungi competitive species you insitgate a complex saprotrphic community that is very unfavourable to a wound parasite such as hispidus, laeti, fistulina, tripe fungus etc etc etc

mark my words, in a few years from now, this will be standard practice.

I did say I didn't get it! And I don't think I was the only one...

10 years...? Hmmm; cynicism suggests that in 10 years a few enthusiasts might be using it and then on highly valued garden specimens. On roadside trees? Really?

It would be good to be wrong though I suppose.

It would be interesting to see what fungi did colonise the wood after you cut it with a spore mix in your chain oil. Have any trials been carried out and published ?

It may be that endophytic fungi outcompete the fungi spores that are applied.

I see a bit of a problem in spreading spores of fungi artificially on a big scale. The spores you are spreading may have an unfair advantage over spores of fungi indigenous to the site. Could this lead to loss of colonisation sites for saprophytic fungi ?

I see a bit of a problem in spreading spores of fungi artificially on a big scale. The spores you are spreading may have an unfair advantage over spores of fungi indigenous to the site. Could this lead to loss of colonisation sites for saprophytic fungi ?

My thoughts exactly, no doubt there is some natural genetic diversity within Pearl Oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus).

Has this been replicated within this product ? or is the woodland environment going to be swamped with these clones ?

yes but....

how often do we see road side chestnuts that have been lifted with p. squamosus coming out of every wound, Ash similar with hispidus, Oaks with aleti also prunus.

To deny the potential of a method that delivers inoculi, HARMLESS inoculi into the wounds does not need much common sense to figure out its going to have more pros than cons, and on that balance, its a viable method.

Thats a fair question phenom, a very fair and justified question.

I dont know the answer to that to be honest, I will try to find one.

however i will say this. I wonder if hispidus and laeti have evolved a warm weather lifestyle for two reasons.

I) to take advantage of summer branch drop in thier chosen hosts.

II) to be sporalating and infecting these wounds at a time that is way to early for most sapros, even squamosus anothe rwound parasite is a freaquent and all year fruiter, probably for similar reasons. Evolutioneraly speaking this early sporalting has proven advantigious to the most virelant and parasitic wound parasites.

food for thought?

To deny the potential of a method that delivers inoculi, HARMLESS inoculi into the wounds does not need much common sense to figure out its going to have more pros than cons, and on that balance, its a viable method.

We offer unique blends of spored oils, one for decomposing stumps of conifers and one for hardwoods. These oils are designed as environmentally friendly, biodegradable lubricants for chain-saws and other wood cutting tools (dilute 1:10 with canola oil for best results). As the wood is being cut, the spore-mass infused oil disperses mushroom spores into the cut faces of wood, and upon germination of spores accelerate the decomposition of stumps and brush.

So its harmless but does speed up decomposition? You need two types (one for hard & one for softwoods) so still need to run two saw sets or change oils.

If you were felling (but not snedding cos then the wood you want to mill is also infected) forestry stuff all day I could see the need.

Strain Collection Mission Statement

Fungi Perfecti is dedicated to preserving the fungal genome and actively search for new strains from old growth forests. Primarily centering on saprophytic mushrooms, our goal is to capture as many phenotypes as possible through tissue culture cloning.

With the loss of habitat, especially ancient forests, we feel the importance of biological diversity can not be overstated. We hope to do our small part to help preserve the fungal biome by bringing into culture ancestral strains before they are lost forever.