Oak Tree: Felling, Extraction, Milling, Final Product

liamjordan

Great stuff as always mate.

As for peoples comments on PPE, i dont care what others decide to wear, or not to wear. Aslong as they dont think there all big and clever for not wearing PPE, thinking there "cool" (like some of the lads at college used to be) then it dosnt bother me.

Nice felling. As said about the PPE also a good pair of gloves would be good kill a few vibes of the old saw. Weld or bolt a bit of guard around that drive belt if possable, might save a figer or too. Nice stuff otherwise i'll have to dig out some of my pictures of our mill. Got a Stenner 41 bandsaw Robinsons Resaw a Maggi radial arm saw a Wadkin thicknesser and a robinsons morticer.

Why choker the log so high so the butt doesn't lift up?

• 4 weeks later...

Aha forgot about this thread, cheers for all the replys guys! Much appreciated! Was a great job to do! I loved it

Why did your grandpa sling it well down the stick?:confused1: Is this a trick only a guy like him will know about?

Hmm he did tell me why and i cant remember, i'll ask him and let you know

That's a great set of pics' date=' Ace.

Wish we got some jobs like that these days, good times. :001_smile:

It was a long drag, so like stevie mentioned, how come Grandad didn't move the cable up a bit?

Is your Cooks the one speed one?

The one I used to use was a two speed, like Logologists' on here.

[/quote']

i'll find out about the sling, there was a reason for it aha

Yeah its the one speed version :)

great pics ,that log was dirty after pumeling that feild

Yeah it did, but as we didnt mill it for a week or so the rain washed most of it off and just finished it off with a spade :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

asked againn about why we put the sling there,

i knew that was the only place we could get it under, he said that theres no real point moving it back up the log, just makes more work for yourslef, it would winch out fine there.

But also... he said that over the years hes found when your working in tight areas winching out long lengths and you have the cable a bit futher down, you can make the butt of the tree come past the back of the tractor, giving you more room, if you get what i mean? its hard to explain :001_smile: