maintaining the side plate angle

orang-utan

Hi there

I run an oregon bp22 micro chisel chain on a 15in bar on an ms260 chain saw. Unfortunately, on occasion I have hit something other than wood and damage has occured to the working corner and side plate.

After having attempted to sharpen the cutters using a 4.8mm round file in a 3/16 (0.325") file holder the side plate has got worse and instead of being 85 degrees it is more like 90 or 95 degrees. The top plate angle is fine and I seem to be getting the working corner back to being sharp but the side plate angle remains at a right angle.

Also, I have been holding the file holder 10 degrees pointing upwards and I am getting wear to the drive link which doesn't look right.

Can anyone help? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks

It sounds to me like you aren't getting any hook on the chain. If anything angle the file down and away from the drive link.

I'm not sure that you are using the right file are you?

You could also be lifting the file therefore hardly touching the side plate.

If you can post some pics I maybe understanding you all wrong.

a video or pics would be good.

the top plate should be 30 degrees, side plate should be 85 degrees. with an upward angle of 10 degrees.

when the (correct) guide and file is on the tooth, look past the tooth and line up the angle on the guide with the tie-straps underneath. the tooth is slightly offset and may give a false reading, the tie-straps are perfectly in line.

Edited by john dawson
reading the wrong bit in the oregon manual!

Hi Mesterh and other contributors

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am using the right file - 4.8mm on a stihl (0.325 pitch) file holder.

Also, I have been filing to the correct angles - 30, 85 and 10 up

I will try and send some photos.

Maybe it is because I am using a stihl file holder?? Would Oregon and Stihl file holders differ in depth? Could this be why I am not getting a hook on the side plate?

one more thing.....can anybody tell me is a micro chisel the same as a semi-chisel chain?

Thanks and much appreciated.

Oregon is pretty easy to understand.

22 is from a old well tested series of chain called Super 20.

BP is semi chisel. Chains sold today is BPX.

LP is chisel. Chains sold today is LPX.

20 has 1,3mm Drivelink.

21 has 1,5mm Drivelink.

22 has 1,6mm Drivelink.

All have same cutters and tiestraps (with exeption of the very old 20AP that had smaller rivets).

A very good .325 chain that work well from 45 to around 60cc saws.

Your chain is Oregon and they all are different.

All manufacturers have the tools needed to use their chains properly and all does not mix. Each different chain needs its own tools and settings to be optimal.

For Super 20 chain there is a roller guide that work OK.

4,8mm file is correct. I use 5mm first 1/3 of the tooth, then 4,8mm the rest.

If you hold the file in the cutter as it is working, you will see you have it too far down the tooth.

I file these chains paralell to top plate, it gives a tad downward angle, but try to get a very small hook.

The chape should be more ( then C

id say use oregon tools for oregon chains etc.....

the problems are 3/16th is 3/16th, so (in theory) a 3/16th file from oregon should be the same as a 3/16th file from stihl. most manufacturers gear is made in the same factory by the same people, it just has a different name stamped on it!

the other prob is replacing the chain. if your dealer gives you a stihl chain to replace the oregon chain, then youl need a new filing kit to match.

id say just get it right by practicing and more practicing.

If you only look in top of tooth you see just this view and this angle.

If you look from the sides you see the rest too.

If you use file handle you will control your file better and usually get some visual help to hold direction and angle.

By control i mean that the file will not change position or vibrate easily.

If you were to use a roller guide it would be even easier to get a good result.

I file free hand with just handle, but file a lot more than average and have a great interest in filing.

I do this to get the little extra out of the filing, correct position and resoult no matter what chain it is.

As I file all chains I see most brands and models.

A lot of chains are filed too deep and leave damage on tiestrap or driveling in many cases.