Using spikes while pruning.

Mesterh

Is using spikes acceptable when only pruning?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Is using spikes acceptable when only pruning?

• No I would never use spikes while pruning.
    • Yes I would only if it was a difficult climb.
    • Yes they are the first thing I get out of the kit bag.

I dont get any benifit from spiking live trees as i dont do it.

Obviously your first priority is financial not tree health, so i dont value your opinion.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had never realised you only did light pruning and only felled dead trees!!!!!!!!

Because obviously felling a live tree is putting finance ahead of tree health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sneaky2::001_rolleyes:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No its an excuse not a reason.

You are just justifying you actions, its what we all do when we do something that others don't agree with or think is wrong.

Everyone has good reason for speeding, drink driving, stealing, fraud, drug dealing, not wearing there seat belt, charging old people more than the jobs worth, going through red lights, pollarding trees, doing tree in general etc, etc, etc, the list is endless.

QUOTE]

omg you put pollarding trees in the same category as those others, jeez. I can only presume this is how you read my posts. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, stuff i am not taking in because it might make me think a bit other than what i have in my head blah blah blah blah, stevie kills trees blah blah blah tree murdering rocks blah blah blah . :sneaky2: i was going to post something else but what is the point blah blah blah blah blah.

No its an excuse not a reason.

You are just justifying you actions, its what we all do when we do something that others don't agree with or think is wrong.

Everyone has good reason for speeding, drink driving, stealing, fraud, drug dealing, not wearing there seat belt, charging old people more than the jobs worth, going through red lights, pollarding trees, doing tree in general etc, etc, etc, the list is endless.

QUOTE]

omg you put pollarding trees in the same category as those others, jeez. I can only presume this is how you read my posts. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, stuff i am not taking in because it might make me think a bit other than what i have in my head blah blah blah blah, stevie kills trees blah blah blah tree murdering rocks blah blah blah . :sneaky2: i was going to post something else but what is the point blah blah blah blah blah.

Because I mentioned them doesn't mean I put them in the same category!

And what you've said I do above is exactly

What you have done with my posts.:001_rolleyes:

Because spiking trees isn't the crime of the century and doesn't stop the world from turning means its ok then and why should we even care?

But you know what blah blah blah blah blah, :001_smile:

To say I'm surprised is a bit of an understatement to find that quite a few people consider it acceptable to use spikes (other than when performing a takedown) and, so it would seem fair practice to use spikes while climbing an awkward or difficult tree.

So what I was wondering then I am in the minority (well I know I'm not with those I have worked for and who I still work with) in the current arb world?

Ive heard all the old excuses err sorry reasons plus a few new corkers as to why its acceptable although none of them convince me yet.:001_smile:

So what are others thoughts and practices?

I have bunged in an anonymous poll for those who wouldn't like to comment or be seen to not run with the crowd, ie think its bad practice.:laugh1:

For arguments sake we are talking about spiking wood that is being retained on the tree.

The line in bold in regards to this thread.

But I class pruning as anything other than felling whether thats straight or section tbh, I guess.:001_smile: