Using spikes while pruning.

Mesterh

Is using spikes acceptable when only pruning?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Is using spikes acceptable when only pruning?

• No I would never use spikes while pruning.
    • Yes I would only if it was a difficult climb.
    • Yes they are the first thing I get out of the kit bag.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldnt agree more. Its usually the TPO'd trees that are the biggest problem view- wise, and ALWAYS in the wrong place. They are most inconsiderate these trees, and should have as much harm inflicted on them as possible, out of spite, to punish them for what they have done. Bad trees.

Trust me when I say that LA pruning trees just to get a good view is not the norm.... I'm inspecting for Salford LA at the moment and there isn't the money in the pot to get that sort of work undertaken regular as part of policy .....it's just not there! and I don't think there are many authorities out there with spare dosh for that sort of work :)

I think if we go back to the thread title, its about pruning, i dont class pollarding, topping etc as pruning so i will re do my post as NO i dont. If i am topping a tree in the situation that myself and Taupo are talking about(if you dont live in mountainous land with cliff faces, and high banking made up of sandstone then you just wont get it) then NOT putting on spikes isnt an option, it isnt an excuse its what i do and what i will continue to do. If you have crawled 50 feet through rhodies and brambles that are 15 feet high to try and find some 2 foot wide sycamores that are onle there as a wind break or to help stabilise the area then ladders, throwlines etc just isnt happening. Some of the trees i do have been topped dozens of times, are full of rot and huge cavities but they serve their purpose and they will continue to do this long after i am cutting trees.

I dont get any benifit from spiking live trees as i dont do it.

Obviously your first priority is financial not tree health, so i dont value your opinion.

Your just putting words into my mouth. I never said that and if It sounded that way to put the record straight I do NOT think that spiking a tree thats being retained is an acceptable thing nor do I think that 'topping a tree' is acceptable.

end of:001_smile:

spent quite a while contracting on the railway, all price work.

if we had to climb, unless it was a "ladder" tree, it got spiked.

i'll admit, purely cash based policy.

in someones garden......definate no no,

the last thing one of my customers would want to see on their beloved tree is great big spike gash's.

just my opinion